1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mirror's Edge Catalyst: To Buy or Not To Buy?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 13 Jun 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I was initially pleased to see bit tech taking a more active role in the 'worth a buy' type articles that are common on you-tube but was a bit surprised not to see any mention of pricing, given that most of the game threads on this forum often contain discussion out game prices, especially now we are regularly in the £50 digital download era...

I guess you could call it bang for buck or value for money, both of which I know are subjective but not to be ignored regardless!

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Pre-ordered it long before the controversy around it started and no, I don't regret it.

Does it have some flaws? Sure, but what game doesn't?

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

"Does it have some flaws? Sure, but what game doesn't?"

all the 10/10's surely ;)

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Controversy? What controversy?

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The morons over at 4chan started the rumour that some woman who "real gamers" are supposed to hate with blind fury is involved in development and sent their legions of unused penises spamming negative reviews to trash the games metascore.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ahh, I think I know the woman you're referring to. Heh.

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

That could only be one of 2 people, either Jayde Raymond (of previous Ubisoft fame) who fairly recently joined EA or Anita Sarkeesian... I hope for the sake of all things good in games that is it not the latter of the two...

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

@DeckerdBR it is the second one. Though I doubt she had much influence in truth.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Urg. Sarkeesian is a well-known militant feminist who has said 'everything is racist and everything is a sexist and you have to remind them all the time', amongst other stupid comments about games. She also can't seem to see the difference between the right to be critical of peoples (hers) poor quality work and genuine Internet abuse. Everyone who doesnt agree is a misogynist apparently.

She has shown very been very successfull in getting backing from Intel and other companies as well as raising a kings ransom from her kick starter.

I'm not a fan of hers obciously, but for those who do want an idea of the horse crap she has been upto, thunderf00t and lots of other youtubers have been good at calling her out on it.

I shudder to think of her actively becoming involved in the development of more games...

11. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Jesus man, look at what you're saying. Watch her videos rather than the drivel from Thunderf00t and you can see that she's highlighting problematic tropes in games rather than calling out everything as sexist.

You can & should do better than repeating gamergate drivel.

Anyway, back to the game - I thought it was great, but it has some real flaws. I'd recommend it if you liked the first one though. Lots of fun.

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Thankfully most of the you-tubers I have watched link back to their sources and her content is widely available. While I can't confess to having watched everything of hers, what I have seen I dislike.

Her tropes vs women in video games series were making a big hooha over nothing, you will have to forgive me if I don't agree that Super Mario is responsible for sexualising women and devaluing them because of the misogynistic male white patriarchy...

Her videos, well at least the 3 out of the 12 she made with that 168k worth of funding, were bad and I don't feel a shred of gilt for calling that out, especially now it has been highlighted she was *potentially* involved, in someway with Mirrors Edge 2.

I missed the original gamersgate 'drivel', but I have certainly have seen some drivel since, including some of her speaking videos...

I don't dislike her because she is a female video game critic, or some other misogyny related reasons, I dislike her content because it's ****.
    The irony here is that Mirrors Edge offers a strong female lead, it's not like Dice were in need of her brand of 'help' to make their game less tropey.

But if you do want to get back on target, why isn't price part of your buy or not to buy series out of interest?

13. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Prices change, the quality of the game (patches aside) largely won't.

14. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

Hmmnn.

I've been around here for ... several years ... don't often post much, just lurk.

But if the hardware reviews can get scores and percentages that can be translated to "recommended buy" vs "piece of crap", and those prices change as well, then I see no reason why a game review can't get the same.

Perhaps BT has another reason for not including a "recommended buy" tag, but the one you list above shouldn't be it.

Alternately (but more work), throw a graph at it, like a curved graph ... purchasing new at 50 pounds? No thanks. But when it drops to 35, you might think it's worth it, and it's a steal in December when Steam sales drop it to 9.99 ....

Tags: Add Tags