1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Running GTA IV on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Smilodon, 11 Jan 2009.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Hello all!

So I got Win7 installed and running just fine. I just can't get GTA IV to work properly, though.

I have looked around on the net, and it seems like some people have got it to work.

I run the game, installer and all associated programs in compatibility mode. I have tried different modes (Vista, XP and win2000) but nothing works.

The two main problem as of now is that the login for GFW doesn't work. I get to the point where i can enter my credentials. after i press log in it says that it's downloading my profile, then asks if I want to install an update. If I don't install, i just get looped back to the login process, and the update doesn't seem to install.

The second problem is when I get the game running (In offline mode) it will hang for a few seconds every now and then. It seems to happen every few keypresses. This also occur when I'm trying to log in to GFW in-game. (When writing my address it takes a few seconds before it will show up on the screen, and when it does, it show up 4-5 letters then waits, then show 4-5 new letters)

So, does anyone know how to get this to work?

It almost seems like the people that got it working are running pirated versions, and I was hoping to avoid going that route.

TIA! :)

(edit: I posted this in software, not gaming, since it's not really a game-problem. Feel free to move if this is wrong :) )

2. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

just giving this very same thing a go now, will let ya know how i get on.

vanilla windows 7 install, bare essentials, flash, firefox, security and network set up, nvidia drivers, and now gta iv

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Tried installing the Windows live update manually? (i.e. not in the game) I got the same error in Vista.

The update is linked through the Rockstar social club popup news thing that comes up.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I haven't installed the update, just a newer version.

My vista drive crapped out on my today, so now i have to get it working. Don't want to reinstall vista today... :sigh:

5. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

well, 2 things to report....

installing went ok, just follow instructions, may need to manually install GFWL and other files in the redistributable folder. remember to run in compatability mode (windows service pack 2)

once done, it works, and works really well. Higher FPS, quicker ALT-TAB back to windows, no crashes so far and above all a much more pleasant experience.

<Main thing for me is that under vista, on my install at least, if i install the 1.0.1 update from rockstar, i can't play the game, get the infinite loop of loading characters. under windows 7, on same hardware, and even same release of nvidia drivers, it runs fine.

My install is purely just Windows 7, platform, sound and graphics drivers, Firefox, Flash, GTAIV, Steam and GRID. Even GRID is faster, now able to use V-Sync with the same settings that only got me 45-50fps in Vista.

All in all, Windows 7 is very stable and i like it. Looking forward to its final release, and retail copy that i can buy.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Ok, so I got this working, and it's working very well! :)

I ended up reinstalling everything manually.
    I installet GFWL, DX and RSGC first. All installed in compatibility mode (XP SP2).

I then installed the game itself (In compatibility mode), and then added the patch.

Only problem now is that my NIC drivers give me a BSOD. :( If I disable them, everything works great, but I can't load savegames...

On top of that I discovered that the savegames isn't stored online, so I had to import them from my old Vista install. I'm now wondering what the heck GFWL is supposed to do except from keeping track of scores (Utterly useless IMO).

edit: Oh, and yeah, the game seems to run a bit better. :) The main advantage is that it closes properly after I exit, and doesn't mess around on my harddrive for 5 minutes after closing as it does under Vista.

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Lucky you, I can't even start the game on my Win7 install, I just keep getting RMN20, RMN30, and RMN40 errors no matter what compatibility mode I try to launch the game from. Total nightmare bleh.

Edit:

I just figured out how to make my game run.. have to first start it in Windows 2000 mode, wait for Rockstar Social w/e to start uup and it'll error, and then I set the Launcher to Windows NT, and it'll work

Last edited: 10 Mar 2009
  8. rex67

rex67 What's a Dremel?

It works OK with Windows 7 64bit.
    I played 5hours without any problem
    Right Click of the setup from the GTA 4 and set the application to run in Windows Vista compatibility mode.
    http://helpwindows7.com/forum/

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Been playing GTA 4 on windows 7 and haven't had any problems at all. Started playing it on my old rig which didn't cope that well but once I upgraded to an AMD 955BE it flies.

I manually installed any required patches if I remember correctly but I think the windows live update took care of itself.

10. add1t

add1t What's a Dremel?

well, you should set the launcher to windows NT/Vista compatibility :thumb:

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Read the edit, got it to work a loooooong time ago ;)

12. darthbabo

darthbabo What's a Dremel?

Hi i've recently upgraded to windows 7 from xp service pack 3 and haven't encountered any problems until GTAIV where as it runs fine until i press a movement key then it hesitates for a second. I have tried running in compatability modes suggested earlier but GTA doesn't like it any help would be appreciated.

13. Racerdalejr88

Racerdalejr88 What's a Dremel?

When I go to play a screen like cmd prompt opens up the it closes a few seconds later!! Help Me Please!!!

14. pretentiousbastid

pretentiousbastid What's a Dremel?

Guys help me out, this is my laptops config-

Intel core2 duo 2.6ghz processor
    2gb ram
    and 1gb intel integrated graphics card.
    windows 7 professional.
    I installed the game, and tried running it and the first rockstar copyright page appears right after the RAZOR logo, and crashes saying 'FATAL ERROR, Install the newest version of DirectX'
    but i have directX 11 installed already.
    What do i do?
    Help me out please, thanks in advance!