1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Linux hardware gurus out there please

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by pompeyrodney, 15 Apr 2015.

1. pompeyrodney

pompeyrodney What's a Dremel?

Hi
    I have an old Viglen IX2100 server that I have folding on the CPU, but would like to get the graphics going as well. I have fitted a Geforce GTX 460 card, but at present this is not being detected by the Debian 7.7 OS. I have checked in the Bios and there is a setting for dual graphics which is enabled, so from what I can see it should detect the card, but it isn't. I have added the wheezy-backports repository and run the nvidia-detect script which does not find the card, so any help anyone can give would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What does the command lspci say? That will list all PCI (and PCIe) devices that the system can detect, whether or not it has a driver for it. The graphics hardware should appear in the list, as so:
    Code:
    blacklaw@trioptimum:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 15h (Models 10h-1fh) Processor Root Complex
    [snip stuff]
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7660D]
    [snip more stuff]
    If it doesn't appear in lspci, then it ain't there - regardless of what the BIOS might say about its status.

3. pompeyrodney

pompeyrodney What's a Dremel?

Hi Gareth
    Thanks for the response but I have managed to get the card found ok now. I have now added the wheezy-updates repo and installed the nvidia-glx drivers.

All went ok with the install but if I add the card as another folding slot I get errors saying "Unknown_enum" which I have seen before and which I think points to the drivers. I have looked at the page at http://lubos.rendek.org/nvidia-geforce-driver-installation-on-debian-wheezy-linux
    When I reach the Xorg part the terminal does not find Xorg.conf so I think that is where things are perhaps going wrong. Looking at http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/nvidia.htmI think I should i try the the section under install, your thoughts are welcomed and thanks.