1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ***Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5H-WiFi review***

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stulid, 3 May 2012.

1. stulid

stulid What's a Dremel?

**Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WiFi Review**

So Intel recently released the latest Z77 chipset (Codenamed Panther Point) for socket 1155 Sandybridge 2nd Gen Core and Ivybridge 3rd Gen Core based CPU's, this new chipset features,

• Native USB3.0 support
    • The ability to run three independent displays from the IGP, the previous Z68 chipset could manage just two.
    • Lucid MVP is another feature found.

Product Homepage - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4167#ov

Outer box and packaging.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ultra Durable 4

• 2X Copper PCB, gives better signaling and thermals on the PCB.
    • Glass fabric PCB, provides humidity protection
    • High temperature protection, solid capacitors and lowRDS MOSFETS.
    • Electrostatic protection, a bunch of IC's protect against static electricity.
    • Power failure protection, anti-surge IC's protect against say electrical storms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Included accessories.

• Six SATA cables, three with angled heads.
    • SLI bridge
    • IO shield plate
    • 3.5" drive bay device with two USB3.0 ports and an internal USB3.0 header cable.
    • WiFi/Bluetooth expansion card.
    • Two aerials.
    • One USB cable to connect the card to the motherboard.
    • Instruction/user guides
    • Driver/Utility CD's for the motherboard and WiFi card.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The board.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I first saw the pictures of this board I thought the Blue would spoil it, especially after using a GA-Z68XP-UD4 that is Black/Grey, but it does grow on you.

[​IMG]

12 VRMs for the CPU, 2 for the IGP and 1 for the memory controller, for reference the GA-Z68XP-UD4 had 16 VRM's for the CPU and 2+1 for the IGP/memory controller but rated at a lower current handling ability.

[​IMG]

8pin ATX/EPS power connector and system fan header.

[​IMG]

The CPU fan header, theres also a power connector (small white thing) provides power to the LEDs on the chipset heatsink if want to install any.

[​IMG]

Reset switch, ClearCMOS switch, Power button, Debug LED to check error codes, another system fan header and voltage measuring points if you have a digital multimeter.

[​IMG]

24pin ATX connector, a USB3.0 19pin header, the SATA power connector is for supplying extra power to the expansion slots in multiple GFX card solutions.

[​IMG]

4 Intel SATAII, 2 Intel SATAIII and 2 Marvel SATAIII connectors, note one of the SATAII ports will be disabled if the mSATA is used.

[​IMG]

Another system fan header, 2 more USB3.0 19pin headers, another Marvel controlled SATAIII port, the little switch is to select between the two BIOS's...a nice touch:)

[​IMG]

The front panel connection block to wire your case buttons to and yet another system fan header (bringing the total to 4).

[​IMG]

2 USB2.0 headers (the Red one is 3X power for quick charging) a trusted port Modual connector and next to this a Firewire header.

[​IMG]

Audio connector for a cases headphone/microphone port, also a digital audio connector for connection to a graphics card/sound card etc.

[​IMG]

This is the mSATA , useful for adding a small SSD that can be used for SRT (smart response technology) caching or just a small OS drive located on the board itself.

[​IMG]

• PCI Express x1
    • PCI Express x16 (switches to 8X if a second card is added to the 2nd 16X slot)
    • PCI Express x1
    • PCI Express x1
    • PCI Express x8 (physically 16X long. it drops to 4X if the bottom PCI-E slot is used)
    • PCI if you still have an old add-in card
    • PCI Express x4 (physically 16X long, only available with an Ivybridge CPU)

This motherboard supports Dual SLI+Crossfire at 8X/8X, it also supports Tri Crossfire at 8X/4X/4X (with a Ivybridge CPU)

[​IMG]

This is the Realtek ALC898 onboard sound chip, it has X-fi emulation, has a very high 110dB S/N ratio, two amplifiers are also present to improve the sound quality. It's as good as, if not better than the solutions found on ASUS Republic Of Gamer boards.

[​IMG]

Left to right,

• Dsub and DVI-D
    • Optical S/PDIF, HDMI and Displayport
    • Two USB2.0, Firewire and eSATA
    • Gigabit LAN and two USB3.0
    • Gigabit LAN and two USB3.0
    • 7.1 Audio

The two LAN ports are provided by a Intel and Qualcomm Atheros chips, both very well regarded.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52963/Intel-82579V-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY
    http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/technology/technology.php?nav1=48&product=97

Heatsink fitment.

Ok, I don't have a large air cooler anymore, instead using a closed loop water cooler, but if you remember back to my review of the GA-Z68XP-UD4 then you will see that using a Titan Fenrir cooler caused issues with the mounting plate interfering with the first RAM slot, and the fan itself overhanging even the 2nd RAM slot, meaning I could only fit the cooler with the fan on the left hand side as I have tall Dominator RAM , not ideal.

It looks like this issue has been amended on this board and the extra space has been achieved by removing the gap between the RAM slots, an extra 5mm increase will make the world of difference:)

GA-Z68XP-UD4,
    [​IMG]

GA-Z77-UD5H,
    [​IMG]

BIOS.

So Gigabyte have now got a UEFI whereas previous Z68 boards had a EFI with the old style White on Blue background style layout, this BIOS is packed full of options, great fan control, also the mouse response selecting options is quick and smooth.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3D BIOS.

This is interesting, a 3D model of the board, hovering the mouse pointer over different parts gives you a description and control of those features, a quick explanation of these features appears underneath.

Switching between this 3D mode and the previous is quick and painless.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Memory multipliers of 10.66x, 13.33x, 14.00x, 16.00x, 18.00x, 18.66x, 20.00x, 21.33x, 22.00x, 24.00x, 26.00x, 26.66x, 28.00x, 29.33x, 30.00, and 32.00x.
    • 8 nameable profile slots that can be imported/exported via USB/SSD or HDD disk.

Bundled software/utilities/drivers.

• Splashtop Connect
    • Intel(R) Management Engine Software(1.5M)
    • INF Update Utility
    • Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Driver
    • Creative SB X-Fi MB2
    • Intel 825XX Series LAN Driver
    • Atheros AR81Family PCI-E Gigabit/Fast Ethernet Controller Driver
    • Marvell GSATA AHCI Driver
    • Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
    • Intel USB 3.0 Driver
    • ON/OFF Charge

• EasyTune 6
    • @BIOS
    •Smart Recovery 2
    • DMI Viewer
    • Face-Wizard
    • Q-Share
    • Update Manager
    • Auto Green
    • Acrobat Reader
    • Lucid Virtu GPU Virtualization Software
    • Atheros LanOptimizer
    • Win ZIP
    • AIWI Game 64 bit
    • Intel Rapid Start Technology
    • Intel Smart Connect Technology
    • Splashtop Streamer
    • Firefox browser

• GIGABYTE 3D Power Utility
    • 3TB+Unlock
    • EZ setup
    • Cloud Station

Bluetooth/WiFi.
    [​IMG]

Bluetooth 4.0 and IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n support from this little card, a spare USB port so you dont lose the bandwidth of the PCI Epress slot its in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bluetooth works perfectly, the WiFi was able to pick up alot of signals from neighbours houses that are a distance away, impressed a lot.

Creative software.
    [​IMG]

There are more sections, but the ones above are the more interesting sections.

Gigabyte 3D Power Utility.
    [​IMG]

SonnyJim, Jackypoos and lancer778544 like this.
  2. stulid

stulid What's a Dremel?

Easy tune 6.
    [​IMG]

Same as before, three selectable OC presets (Green/Yellow/Red) control of the frequencies/voltages/ratios but if you click on the Autotune button (circled) it takes you to another feature,

[​IMG]

These needles on the dials sweep around a few times while checking the CPU ratio stability, BCLK stability etc, then after a few restarts and Bluescreens, it finally presents you with its idea of an Overclock, I found this final overclock to not be stable for me, I do actually wonder if I just have a bad overclocking CPU as my manual overclock isnt spectacular either.

[​IMG]

It can also save this profile for loading into the BIOS and storing.

Lucid MVP.
    [​IMG]

This is improved on the Lucid Virtu found on the Z68 boards, it has two more features,

• HyperFormance.
    • Virtual Vsync.

Testing.

Test setup,

i5 3570K
    GA-Z77-UD5H-WiFi
    GA-Z68XP-UD4
    Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz (2X2Gb) DDR3
    Corsair Force GT 120GB
    GTX570
    Antec Kuhler 920
    Corsair TX750M

SSD performance,
    [​IMG]

Lucid VirtuMVP with CPU at 4.5Ghz,
    [​IMG]

AIDA64 at 3.4Ghz (Turboboost/Speedstep disabled),
    [​IMG]

Overclocking,

Using a i5 3570K as mentioned, getting to 4Ghz was easy, all I had to do was set the CPU ratio to 40X, disable Turboboost (or leave the CPU ratio alone and set all four Turbo ratios to 45X if you want the power saving feature) and save+exit the BIOS.

Next up was 4.5Ghz, using these settings,

Then 4.6Ghz with,

[​IMG]

4.7Ghz with more Vcore,

[​IMG]

Wprime,
    [​IMG]

SuperPI,
    [​IMG]

Conclusion.

The UD5H is a stunning board, the new UEFI BIOS is easy to use and the mouse cursor is smooth within it, the board is built like a rock, lots of features to aid overclocking within the BIOS and found on the PCB itself, a great amount of connectivity (SATA ports/USB ports) having four display connectors means you can run three monitors using the onboard GFX. The audio quality from the Realtek ALC898 chip is so much better than previous sound solutions on motherboards I have used before.

I have had my GA-Z68XP-UD4 for nearly 9 months and in that time its been an absolute beast compared to the Asrock that came before it, I can see this UD5H continuing in the same fashion.

Pros.
    Build quality.
    Connectivity.
    UEFI is fast and smooth, 3D mode is simple to use.
    Brilliant sound quality, makes me miss my X-Fi sound card less.

Cons.
    Wish it still had the Black/Grey theme of the previous Z68 boards.

Last edited: 7 May 2012
  3. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Awesome Review! Have some +rep!

4. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

I feel like I bought the wrong board now, but I was going for the cheaper option. Great read. I'm tempted to do one of these for my cheap and cheerful one now haha

+rep

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Agreed, excellent review :thumb:

6. stulid

stulid What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys.

It is a very nice board indeed, I never thought I would be packing my UD4 away in its anti-static bag and leaving it to collect dust, but it seems I have found a replacement that lives up to standards set by it:)

7. mkh02

mkh02 What's a Dremel?

Very helpful review mate!

has given me options for my new build! Good to see reviews from other forum members as it can often highlight more practical issues!

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Very nice review +rep.

I would just like to note, for those who don't know. The motherboard does NOT come with a dedicated sound card, it is Creative sound effect software that works with select Realtek sound chip. You can buy it on Creative website for near the price of a dedicated sound card. It uses the CPU to render the sound effect/filter.

9. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Seeing the lack of hardware on the main site we will be resorting to this soon!

+ rep, nice read

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

+rep for a super detailed review

11. stulid

stulid What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the +Rep guys, glad you like this and hope that it helps some people make a purchasing decision if they are still umming and a'rring.

12. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Great review, thanks for that :)

13. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

Great review as I am considering the non-wifi version myself.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Reported thread to get a mod to check where Stu is from. bit-tech demands honesty and transparency where you're from if you're posting 'reviews'. ;) Just saying gotta play it fair and check these things.

EDIT: Complete clarification why I ask is here.

Last edited by a moderator: 7 May 2012
  15. stulid

stulid What's a Dremel?

I live in weston-super-mare if you must know.

16. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

I think he means, do you work for Gigabyte?

17. stulid

stulid What's a Dremel?

Nope, I work for Autologic.

I just noticed his location, I guess if he's a ASUS Rep then thats just smacks of desperation.

18. GoodBytes

Yes, but is this company a fake company from Gigabyte that they build and provided a full respected reputation, just to post this review on Bit-tech.net website! I think YES! It must be a conspiracy.

Last edited: 6 May 2012
  19. stulid

stulid What's a Dremel?

?

Autologic is a company that provides services to the motor industry such as Toyota, fiat, alfa romeo, susuki etc.

Anything from transport logistics to valeters and option fitters.

Why has this thread become a Q+A session about where I live and what I do?

20. GoodBytes

I don't think you understood my post.
    I was jokingly saying that Gigabyte started Autologic company, spending millions if not billions and build a full reputation for years and years on end, JUST to post this bit-tech.net review on a motherboard. Essentially I am defending you, by saying that it make 0 sense, as money could be waaaayyy better spent.

Anyway, continue what you are doing. Speculation is due that this in depth review is your second one, and both from Gigabyte, and the CPU one you didn't mentioned the motherboard.. which could be assumed a Gigabyte one, and your post count is low. I don't blame Bindi for being a speculative. The fact that you came and defended and presented your self just know, shows that you are not some automated or Gigabyte promoter, as usually such user doesn't come back for replies, unless it's question about pricing and specifics.

Last edited: 6 May 2012