1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics R9 280X XFX BLACK EDITION - NO SIGNAL?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by briinthesky, 12 Apr 2014.

1. briinthesky

briinthesky What's a Dremel?

HI

I need a bit of help.
    I have just purchased an XFX R9 280X Black edition card and have installed it in my machine but all I get at the monitor is no signal and the pc does not boot.
    I had a look and everything is spinning that should be but I get nothing. if I go to the on board graphics or put an old 6850 card in it works ok.

is there as solution or is the card dead ?

any help would be much appreciated

Bc.:idea:

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Either it's DOA or not getting enough power. Check your PSU connections and if possible try in another machine. Otherwise it's RMA time.

3. briinthesky

thanks for the quick reply

the power supply as a brand new CM750 so it should be ok.
    its modular so I could try another connection?

:thumb:

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I concur with pookie

yes try the other 16x pcie slot if you have one.

how many rails does the cm750 have, are you using one cable feeding both power connectors or 2 separate ones?

5. briinthesky

hi

I was wondering about trying it in a different lane as I have 3

or trying it with molex/ adapter connectors what do you think ?

Bc.:confused:

6. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

It cant hurt to try :)

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So your Graphic card needs an 8pin and 6pin PCI-E power connectors from your PSU

[​IMG]

Is this your PSU? Until you give us the Make and model of your PSU, it's hard to know what the problem is.

[​IMG]

Right, so your HD6850 uses just one 6pin PCI-E adapter, and runs fine with it.

I take it your PSU has dedicated Rails for each PCI-E connector, one 6Pin and one 8Pin?

I wouldn't use the molex to PCI-E adapters on this card, as the power draw will be too much, this is why you need dedicated PCI-E rails with at least 28A per rail.

8. briinthesky

Hi

my psu is RM Series RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit"
    with 8 and 6 pin dedicated rails.
    i sent the xfx back and they said it works ok but are sending me another one.
    they said i should put the 6850 in slot 1 and put the xfx in as a slave and windows should pick it up and install the driver then i can take out the 6850 and then put the xfx as the primary card ?

Bc.:idea:

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That power supply is more than capable to run that card. I had two heavily overclocked 6950s and a heavily clocked 4770K on it without any issues.

What is the rest of your system like? It could be a shot in the dark but have you updated your motherboard BIOS?

Just to rule it out, you did try every port (if possible) to check its signal output, right?

10. briinthesky

it was an ASROCK z77 but i decided to move up and now have an MSI z87-G65 with 8 gb extreme 1600ghz. but when i plugged it into that i got the same and it refused to boot when the monitor was plugged into it.:idea:

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Then it sounds like it doesn't like your monitor, or, you are using a bad combo of connectors to connect your monitor.

The RM 750 is a single rail, so it isn't that. I have a 4.9ghz FX 8 on mine with an overclocked 7990.

12. TheMadDutchDude

Now that you've moved up, do you get an image from your onboard display from your CPU? What is it out of interest? It could be that your motherboard is setting the iGPU to display as the primary output rather than the PCIe card.

Take the card out and look through the BIOS using the iGPU. Disable the iGPU and then save the configuration. Shut down, install the 280X, and turn on. See if it springs to life.

Alternatively, don't fully disable it but instruct your BIOS to look for a PCIe card first and the iGPU second.

Let us know what you find. :)

I always turn the iGPU off as it isn't being used. It reduces temperatures slightly and also reduces power usage.

13. briinthesky

yes I get an image from the on board gpu and will check what it is set for in the bios when I get home
    it did immediately pick up the hd6850 though.
    :thumb:

14. TheMadDutchDude

It could be a BIOS issue. I know there were issues like that on Z77 (Gigabyte in particular) but it may be a similar case. It's just a shot in the dark but I figured it's worth a try. :)

Do you have anyone local to you that you could ask to test the card for you?

15. briinthesky

Hi

replacement card not arrived yet but hopefully today.
    just wondering if you do crossfire does it have to be the exact same card or can it be say an identical 280x of different manufacturer ?

Bc.;)

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You can mix any manufacture, but if you add - say a pre overclocked 280x with a reference design card, then the pre overclock card will down clock to match the reference card. :)

17. briinthesky

hi

the xfx card was replaced (after being told that on return it worked no problem!) so I plugged it in and tried again and got the same results? no signal! if I plug into the onboard gpu and check the device manager it is not there and a scan reveals nothing.
    I obtained an MSI twin frozzer 280x and put that in and it was recognised immediately and now runs fine. I then put the xfx back in thinking it would then be recognized - doh not a flicker!!

I just don't understand what is wrong!

Bc.:dremel: