1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitoring with Fahmon over network

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Unicorn, 25 Apr 2009.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I know this has been covered before, but for the benefit of us without a photographic memory or those who simply didn't try it when it was posted on the old forum - could someone repost a guide to it? I believe Saspro was the author of the original guide on CPC.

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Unicorn - do you mean monitoring across different networks, as monitoring on the same network is easy?

Just in case - for the same network, make sure that you have used Windows Explorer to share the relevant Folding folder with the work unit data in it on each machine. Then within FahMon on the machine you want to monitor from, right click on the white background in the main pane and select 'add client' - give it an approprate name, then find it's location on your network - and voila :thumb:

For monitoring across different networks, or over the internet, then I'd be asking the same question ;)

[​IMG]

3. Dak1n

Dak1n What's a Dremel?

Over the internet you could just enable windows file sharing over the internet using an IP, although its not the most secure method

4. Unicorn

BTW thanks guys I didnt know FAHmon was able to use a shared windows work folder to get stats... piece of cake :)

5. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

On my pc upstairs I just right clicked on the f@h folder and shared it then on this downstairs just looked for on the network ...works fine for me :)

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Easy, install hamachi on all the PC's. Then create shared folders as normal and map fahmon to the hamachi IP of the machine & share.

7. DocJonz

I got round it by putting LogMeIn on one of the machines, so I can log in to that machine across the internet and run FahMon locally to check the others on the network ;)

8. RSoP_Robbers2706

RSoP_Robbers2706 Often called Sheldon Cooper

I'm just rolling out Folding@Home@Work :p

Being a large-ish network, we are obviously on a domain so this makes it slightly easier however, all that I have done is install the client to a simple location so:
    C:\F@H

So then on FahMon, I just add
    Name: Computer 1

This will however work at home!
    The easiest way to do this be it XP Home / Pro is to have the same username and password on each computer and use the similar format to above.

Simple File Sharing can be a pain in the butt!

Rather than using logmein etc to check on FohMon, I set it to export a simple html page to a secure folder on the webserver.

9. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Ive done the same as that for now :D

Going to be looking at getting FahMon dumping the stats to html, uploading to my FTP site and the displaying on me website soon as I can remember the admin account password for my domain hahaha :duh:

10. DocJonz

I would do the "web-page export" thing, but I don't have a web-page :jawdrop: .... no, really!!!!!!!

11. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Wehn i get my guide up you guys can do the web export easy :)

This was coverd in issue 70 i think on the big f@h article.
    Using Himatchi for monitoring Clients over the internet. But the same applys for local networks.

12. IwantAbetterPC

IwantAbetterPC What's a Dremel?

Hi Doc,

See Votick's guide for uploading your farm stats to a webpage (including free site hosting!!!)

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=169957

I managed to get mine working so that my Folding "Allotment" (can't call it a farm! :blush:) stats are posted - see signature below for the finished article for my machine - click a client and it'll load the stats in the panel on the right. I think this is great, as I can monitor my clients from anywhere now without needing remote access to the machines.

I'd love to see some of you guys with monster farms showing 'live' stats like this. :jawdrop:

Craig...

13. DocJonz

I plan to give it a shot, but I'm not going to be back in the country till the beginning of July. Still my wifes doing a good job of keeping things ticking over while I'm away - at least she hasn't turned everthing off :lol:

14. Unicorn

It's a piece of cake really, once you have the web template exporting properly, getting it tp upload automatically is simple :)

15. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

OK, so that I can see as useful

I'm not trying to be difficult, but why? I'm willing to be persuaded to put in the effort, but I genuinely can't see the point at the moment :confused:

16. IwantAbetterPC

IwantAbetterPC What's a Dremel?

...Nothing special - it'd be nice to see what Phoenicis or Saspro or DocJonz or SpunkyMonkey or Christopher N. Lewis are using to generate 40,000 - 120,000ppd each rather than just seeing their OC sig stats with huge summary numbers on it.

...you can also see who's donating to the CPChimps, as it shows you the client username as well (notice you'd slipped a WU in as yourself there after the rebuild of your busted machine:D)

...I'm not saying it should be compulsory :eyebrow: ...just a bit of fun for others, and if you've got a big farm, then why not show it off, as it were?

Craig...

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I'll set one up soon, could be fun

18. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Look forward to seeing it :)

19. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It's going to be bigger as well. Got loads more adding to it.
    Will be a nice amount of ppd when I can fold under my name again, should get me back in the top 10 producers quite quickly

20. RSoP_Robbers2706

RSoP_Robbers2706 Often called Sheldon Cooper

I'm using FahMon for live stats and it's proving quite useful if you have a few machines but in fairness, its not overly essential.

I have attempted to ensure that I have access most of the time to checl that everything is OK.