1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good spec PC? Help I'm new :(

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Newbienooby, 24 Sep 2012.

1. Newbienooby

Newbienooby What's a Dremel?

So my dad bought a custom PC.. He chose his own parts(with the help of the PC shop dude) anyway he bought it for my gaming needs, the specs are like this:

- AMD A6 3500 Triple Core 2.0ghz (and can someone explain what does a triple core do?)
    - Asus motherboard (not sure which, but is for the tight budget model)
    - Sapphire 6570 2GB DDR3 (is this good?)
    - 4GB DDR3 RAM Kingston
    - Gigabyte casing
    - 1 TB HDD (external converted into an internal one, the PC dude said the hard drive after 2 years will burn because the voltage is not the same? Or was he just lying because he was offering us a bargain price of his 500GB HDD)
    - 19 inch Phillips monitor

So there goes, is this good?? I love playing games like Sims 3, Civilization 5 and Cities XL. And will it support high graphics settings? :confused:
    Recently up to 4 laptops of mine was spoiled because I play games on it.. So my dad thought better get a PC for my gaming needs lol.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2012
  2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Newbienooby - I think you have posted in the wrong forum - this is the Folding forum.

3. Newbienooby

oohh.. So where should I post this forum to then?? Sorry!

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

[Request to move thread]

To answer your question, Newbienooby
    Well it depends on budget.
    If the budget was 50$, than this is an awesome build... if it was 2000$, then not so much... actually it would have been awful.

Triple Core processor, is a Quad core processor, but one of the cores MIGHT be broken and cut out during manufacturing process. The 3 other cores has been tested to make sure they are are 100% working, and just as reliable. In exchange, they cut the price a lot.

This process is nothing really new in the hardware business. Lower end models are sometimes broken higher end models. I say sometimes, because most of the time, it's a fully function chip which they purposely lock-down or cut out component(s) to fit demand.

The reason for this, is that they get to use 1 mold, 1 architectural map, which is million of dollars saved. Making a processor, whether it's a GPU, CPU, etc. Doesn't cost much. Maybe about 30$-90$, what costs the most is thousands of engineers that worked on the architecture. Nvidia has about 2000 engineers (maybe more, maybe less, depending if the GPU they are working on, is a step up from a previous architecture, or restarting from scratch, or something in between). At about 100k per year, not to mention HR, marketing, building maintenance cost, Administration, etc... that's not cheap, as you can see. So they need money.

A modern processors architecture are designed from day 1, to have the ability to work at 100%, if a core or part of the processor isn't functioning, and despite this in mind, they still test the processor to be even more sure. And so far, no one complains, as it is working perfectly.

Anyway, Dual, Tripple, Quad, Hexa, Octo.. etc. Core's are the number of processors in the chip forming your processor. Usually these aren't a 100% dedicated processor, they share stuff between each other, usually memory (L1, L2, L3 cache (super duper hyper fast memory, where L1 being the fastest, but these costs a fortune to manufacture, so they are only a few KB or MB's)). The reason why they share usually memory and sometimes other components is obviously, to reduce cost, and also sometimes, boost performance in some things.

Having multiple processor, advantage is improve multi-tasking performance. To simplify everything and keep it in brief, a single core processor can do only thing at a time. It can execute 1 instruction at a time, for every running program (process). When you do multiple things at once, Windows (or wtv OS) manages this. It sends to the processor a process, then switches to another one, to allow it do it's things, and switch back to the previous one, and so on. Now it's actually very complicated. You can do a university course on process management, and all the different techniques and tricks it uses. If you are in University, and want to know more on how an OS work, and appreciate the complicated tasks it does as you use your system, and realize that the interface of Windows or Linux, is a just a very small portion of the OS, you can take a course called Operating Systems. Very interesting course.

So, as a single core process can effectively do 1 thing at a time, and having the OS do trickery to allow multiple things appear to be able to do at once. Having multiple core, allows the system to actually run several things at the same time. Also, what a process can do, is uses several or all of your cores at once, to execute it's task much faster, than if it only had 1 processor.

At the end of the day, is you feels your computer faster and more responsive.

For the HDD, I have never heard such lies in my life. And number 2, EXTERNAL HDD's, are INTERNAL ones, with a converter plug so that it uses USB or wtv port instead of SATA. So I don't know why he said that on reverse, clearly he never looked inside one.

Monitor... well I have no comment on budget monitors, which I assume is what you have and paid accordingly. If you want to learn more, in brief, about monitors, check this thread:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=218867

If your laptops gets "spoiled" (I guess you mean broke), because you game on it. Then maybe you start investing in a proper laptop (see business class laptops), and not budget retail crap, that overheats non-stop. Costs more, much more, but it would have been cheaper than 4 laptops, let alone 2.

Welcome to bit-tech.net, and next time please post at the right section. You'll get more help and more views. A mod will shortly move this thread to the appropriate location, I am sure. No need to create a new one. Hang in tight.

5. Newbienooby

My dad told me his budget was 500$.. Said I can upgrade later on when I start working end of the year.. Alright thanks GoodBytes!! Great information :D All this while I've been with consoles, recently started with computer gaming because of Sims and Civilization.. Hohoho. Sorry about posting at the wrong section though, I didn't know where to post when suddenly I saw the "Custom PC" as the title thus me posting in here.. Anyway thanks again ! Probably will get the PC tomorrow :D

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Glad I could help.
    For 500$ I think it's a pretty good system. The CPU is a little on the weak side, and if you want to upgrade your CPU later..to let's say a med range Intel, it would be a new motherboard that would be needed. So that will be an extra cost. But that's minor detail.

----

The drop down box next to the title box when you create a post, is the topics it will place the thread. within a group. I know it's complicated for nothing. A minor thing. Great and helpful community here.

Just go on the section you think it goes, Click on New Thread, and from the drop down box, pick the topic. If you don't see it, then you are in the wrong section.

---

Also, what I suggest you do, is use this buttons [​IMG] on the bottom of the left side column of a post, to give reputation points to useful posts. This helps people gain reputation points, which can help others knows better the other users. :thumb: