1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PS3 or XBox? Please help....!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by damienVC, 17 Sep 2009.

?

PS3 or XBox (for 8 yr old)

1. PS3

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. X-Box

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been done before, but I need some help. My lad is 8 and I want to get him a games console for Crimbo so it's down to a PS3 or XBox. Not being a console gamer, I'm not sure which is best for him. Please note, it's not about which is best, it's about which is best for an 8 year old (so factors I guess are range of games for that age, availability of second hand games for pocket money buys etc).

Thanks in advance!

2. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

I'd get a Wii for an 8 year old, but presumably you've ruled that out for your own reasons.

The problem with consoles like the 360 and PS3 is that the online component of many games is going to expose your little chap to a lot of stuff he shouldn't necessarily be seeing. You have to retain control of the titles he's got access to very carefully. Although you can obviously make sure you don't purchase unsuitable games for him, kids have a habit of getting hold of these things on their own (via swaps at school and so on). For this reason, my recommendation is an Xbox 360, as they allow you to set a passcode on your console which limits the games that can be played on it by ESRB rating. You can find more about this here. This stuff is also possible on PS3 but apparently it's not as good a system.

I haven't investigated the availability of family-oriented titles on either console as I don't have kids, but my guess is that because the 360 has been around for longer, and is cheaper to develop for, you'll find it has more family oriented titles than the PS3. The thing to do is probably to go to your local Gamestation and take a look at the selection for both consoles.

It always seems to me like there are more second hand games available for 360 than PS3, but you never know how these markets are going to develop.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The Wii is probably best for an 8 year old even if its not the best value console around.

Can't speak for 360 as I've only played that for myself but my PS3 has been enjoyed by my little nieces and nephews for the some of the cheap PSN games aimed at kids along with stuff like Buzz/Singstar and the eyetoy games, platformers like LBP and Ratchet will likely be enjoyed as well as all the old PS1 content like Crashbandicoot etc.

The Wii, 360 and PS3 have access to other games too that kids like, the LEGO games and the Rythm games like Rockband/Guitar Hero.

PS3 has parental controls too by the way.

Best thing to do is ask him what all his friends are playing, you wouldn't want him to be the only kid in school with a 360 or PS3 for example, no swapsies, not in on any game chat going around school etc.

If your boy is into cars then your really want to focus on PS3/360 as thats where the wealth on quality racers are, the Wii is a bit pants for that.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2009
  4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

You know.. when all is said and done, there would be nothing quite like your boy opening the package on xmas day and it being a... PS3.

If my dad bought me a Sony Ps3 for Xmas with say 3 decent games I would know he was being serious about being my dad :)

I still remember the day my dad bought me the amiga game populous, I even kissed him on the cheak and that was a very very werid thing to happen we did not have that kind of friendship at all but that game was a big issue for me.

Ps3 for impact.
    360 for cheap games, wide range and oh the little issue of Halo 1,2,3?
    Wii for fun, spatial awareness? coolness, famliy involvement? Fitness?

You could buy him a PC, load famliy protection software and or rescrict to certain sites.

All things considered I would shoot for the 360 even thou every fiber in body says no when I think about "buying" and "consoles" in the same sentance.

PS3 would make your son scream in pleasure thou, Sony is POSH, edit: and its got blueray which is nice.

I hope your XMAS IS LOVELY!! GO DAD!!

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

360, my 5 yr old nephew loves playing some of the games I've downloaded from XBL Arcade (Castle Crashers is his favourite) you can get points cards from Tesco to spend on the downloadable games (most of which is fairly reasonable)

6. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that. We have ruled out the Wii (borrowed one for a couple of months and the kids got bored with it very quickly). As far as the online component goes, he probably wouldn't have access anyway in his room - if it's downstairs then it's in a shared area.

Good point about the parental control - I didn't know they had that.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The PS3 has in built Wifi so where ever you put it he can access the web if you want him too which'll means he'll be able to chat and message with friends as well as compete against them online, it's also free to do so, worth baring in mind as he's likely to have the machine for a few years and will likely mature and want to play online stuff, also means that there's no cost to you if you just want to try it now and again.

8. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

The PS3 has a web browser so you might want to thik about security if you have them online. You can purchase a net nanny kind of protection from the dashboard called Trend Micro Kids Safety which is on offer until 31 Decemeber 2009 with 30% off. So its around $14, doesnt show price in £.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2009