1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Just how much can a pump handle?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DragunovHUN, 27 Oct 2010.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

As it stands, my current plans for my new loop include a pump, 1 CPU block, 2 MCW60s, a chipset block, a tube res, a thick 3x120mm rad, a slim 3x120mm rad and a 1x120mm rad. Could i run this off of 1 pump, something like a 18W DDC or do i want to add another pump either in series or split into two loops? Mind you, for me the main appeal of watercooling isn't performance, but silence and the watercooling hardware itself. It may not seem like it but i'm trying to keep this build tidy in some weird way so i'd like to avoid the extra clutter introduced by a second pump if at all possible.

What do you guys think?

2. Spikey101

Spikey101 What's a Dremel?

I would have thought each individual part would give a resistance and flow value, and then you'd need to find a pump with the right flowrate/pressure value.

At least, that's what my plumbing instincts tell me but this is a bit more basic than a heating system I guess :D

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

What you need to take into account are a few things, Rad size, amount of rads,the amount of components in the loop all of which adds resistance to the flow.Looking at what you want to run, I'd say you need 2 loops or at very least a pump that can shift 750 lph preferably 1000 lph plus

Adding another pump in the loop would help, but the best bet would be to split it. One 360 on the cpu and chipset is loads and the other 360 for GPU etc

4. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

IMHO, I think one pump will be okay.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd say it'll be alright, the chipset block is probably the one that's most restrictive.

It's a principle that is probably the best way to go about it, but it's difficult in most cases, most of the time it's guesswork.