1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Projector or multiple displays???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by llb443, 26 Jan 2011.

1. llb443

llb443 Assassins do it from behind.

Can't be bothered to read this whole post???
    Well in a nutshell I am looking for advice on projectors vs multiple displays. And which setup will be best for real-time HD gaming (such as xbox 360)

My situation:
    I currently have one TV that I have to use for everything; watching television, as my pc monitor, and with my Xbox. It is far from ideal that I have only one screen and that it has to be used for everything.

What I want:
    So I am thinking that I want to make a gaming monitor (and let my TV be used for television again), that can be used with my PC and Xbox (both use hdmi so that shouldn't be an issue). But I am stuck in two minds what route to go down, I could go for a projector or I could go for multiple displays in span. Currently I am leaning towards a projector as opposed to multiple displays.

Firstly Projectors;
    I have never owned one, and I have no idea what kind of projector will suit my needs. Ideally I would like to display it on a white matte wall (to save all the hastle of a screen etc). I play First person shooters, so ghosting and other undesired attributes associated with displays should be kept to a minimum.

Multiple displays;

I have had multiple displays, with a laptop and a TV (yes the same TV as previously mentioned). But never used it for gaming or in span mode. I suppose I am really just asking what is the upsides to spanning monitors (from a gamer point of view).

Notes:
    • Keep in mind that I am a student, and that my budget doesn't even exist yet. I am gonna have to save to get this display
    • I will also use this alot for watching movies.
    • I have speakers and headphones, so I will not need to spend extra money there.
    • I have a decent PC - i3-530, 4gb ddr3 (possibly relevant if both the PC and the Xbox need to be involved for me to play Xbox on span monitors)

As always all and any advice is appreciated, thanks, llb443.

2. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Well an xbox can't utilize multi monitors so will still be tied to the TV.
    With a projector you will have to fulfil the nerd stereotypy and play in a dimly lit room.
    And by the look of your PC it won't be able to handle multi moniter gaming at good setting. What graphic card?

3. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

If you have got the space, and it really needs to be dark to get the most out of a projector you can get some blackout blinds or thick curtains if you want to use it during the day, You would get better results using a screen than projecting onto a wall, The xbox cant use multiple displays I think forza 3 can but you need 3 xbox's linked together, if you want to use eyefinity or nvidia surround you need a lot of gpu power cause your playing at 3 times the resolution as normal, I think you should use a projector if you have the space

4. llb443

llb443 Assassins do it from behind.

Just a geforce G210... :(

Okay, so Projector it is... Any ideas on what one I should get? cheap yet good quality for gaming resolutions???