1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Scariest Games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Oct 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

But condemned isn't really scary, once you get 2 hours in and figure out the formula the entire game uses you know when somethings gonna happen and if you play through using guns it's pretty easy despite the lack of ammo. It has a couple of scary moments, like the dead body in the gym locker. But otherwise it's overrated in terms of scariness, just like FEAR is. Amnesia on the other hand......can't play that game lol.

3. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I've not played that many scary games to be honest. Might get Amnesia since its on sale on Steam.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Do it. Record yourself with a webcam.

5. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Hahaha, I will do. I've heard that it is one of the scariest games out there.

6. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Doom3 - Not been able to finish the game.

7. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

I find that creepy ambient sound is the biggest factor in making games scary, but most scary games suffer because once you've killed the scary things once or twice they aren't scary anymore

8. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

There was a bit in the first stalker (lab X-18)...... I found it scarier than anything in amnesia.

9. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I find Half-Life terrifying...I can't play it at night, just anything waiting around the corner and knowing its going to jump out and bite my face off.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That was quite freaky.

Amnesia looks really scary, that youtube video of the chap playing with teamspeak on is hilarious - I'd be just like that and completely lose my mind when the monsters come.

I can watch scary films, any of them, but games get to me much more, it's that sense of control that sets off everything for me.

11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Metro 2033 is pretty haunting

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That's the game that confirmed I don't like scary games

13. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

The X-Labs in stalker also got me. Always found it odd that even though I know the stalker are games crippled by bugs, I can still get really into them and therefore terrified by them.

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Once you realise that Doom 3 is just so dark it's black because that was the only way they could get it to run decently, and that the enemies always, always spawn behind you... it's not so scary any more. Although you will find yourself walking through doors backwards, so you can shotgun the Imp that spawns behind you before it gets a chance to do anything. ;)

F.E.A.R, the first time round, scared the hell out of me. Although this may have largely been because I'd just got a 5.1 Surround Sound system and was playing it at 2am in the dark, I don't know.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I've not got very far in. Largely because it hates SLI, so runs at low-single-digit FPS. So I've barely played it. Honestly, I'm not totally sure why I bought it, because I'm not usually a fan of horror games...

If a game freaks me out too much to play, it's usually due to audio. The solution there is simple, if I really want to play - turn off the speakers for a while. ;)

On a related but different note, I watched 'The Fades' (a new series on BBC3) the other day... really wasn't impressed at all. Kept thinking I'd seen 'plot device x' in other shows before hand... it ended up feeling like a 'suspense/horror movie/anime/game greatest hits'...

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Thief: Deadly Shadows. Every frikkin time.

Just the one level, of course, but it's a cracker.

More details, and spoilers aplenty, Here

16. beckoner

beckoner What's a Dremel?

No Dead Space? The first time I played I jumped out of my skin when first attacked at the beginning.. I then proceeded to provide hours of amusement to my gf, as I jumped and jerked like an idiot everytime a random object creaked.

17. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I think the first STALKER was one of the scariest. What it did better than any game before or since was demand the player confront the fear.

For example in a linear game you come across a scary area of the game. What do you do? You press on through it. Why? Because you have no choice. You know you have to go through there, you know the game is set up so you should go through there now. You know there won't be anything down there that you can't handle at this point in the game. All those elements provide comfort.

What STALKER has always done is given you a choice. Do you go and look for Strelok's stash in the bunker deep beneath the ground where the Bloodsucker's live? Or do you just say, "No thanks!" and press on regardless. That's the choice, and the fact that you can postpone the trip into the dark makes you question if you even should be undertaking it in the first place. By presenting the player with decisions, rather than a path, the game also presents them with doubts. Rather than being safe and confident in where they are and what they are doing the player asks himself, "Should I even be down here?" "Do I have enough firepower for this?" "Was there something else I needed to do above ground?" "Do I even have to come down here anyway?" and so on.

The key I have always felt with games is you get the player to scare themselves. Cheap tricks and things that jump out of lockers will get people to jump, but to really creep people out you've got to give people questions to ask themselves and time to doubt.

18. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

Dead space1 had some very scary moments, loved it.

19. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Amnesia hands down. I still haven't finished it. I can just about bring myself to play for about an hour before my mind starts to melt. The first time I saw a monster I hid behind a bookshelf looking away from him hoping he hadn't seen me and would eventually do one. I kept peeping round to see if he was still there and everytime I did this the characters heartbeat and breathing got more distressed. The way it blurs your vision when your character is distressed just adds to the suspense!

20. Scroome

Scroome Modder

When I first played through Amnesia, I had just broken my arm (using a keyboard was a total bitch). That game was so scary that after a while it can screw with you a bit.

I remember taking some washing in from outside. It was dark and I had just finished playing for a couple hours. I was a tad paranoid and when one of my shirts landed on my head, my first thought was they're going to find a guy in his garden with a broken arm and no head.

Tags: Add Tags