1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DirectX 12's cross-vendor multi-GPU support gets tested

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Oct 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Nvidia & AMD side by side working together.

As the covenant horde would say 'Blasphemy!!!'.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seems odd for AnandTech to test the high end cards together, i can't imagine many people would use the same generation top end cards from both vendors, wouldn't it be more likely that someone would use something like a GTX 680 & Fury X, or a 980ti & HD 7970.

Not having read the entire AnandTech article did they test any discrete GPUs with integrated GPUs?

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Yeah gained about 5 fps on Intel onboard with nvidia 980ti.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Was that their test, i thought it was a press release screenshot thing.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

What I find shameful is that they didn't show crossfire/SLI benchmark results for comparison.

While I don't expect them to beat an SLI/Crossfire setup, what is cool with DirectX12, is for example say you have a med range card... and get a new latest coming up GPU from your favorite manufacture highest-end or another med range. Well instead of making your old GPU collect dust, you can still use it for a small performance gain. That performance can be more solid 60fps performance experience throughout the game, to more playable fps if you can't get to 60fps.

Great for laptops too. You can probably get a nice 5fps in games with the assistance of the Intel graphics solution. So that mens it could be a factor of playing a game at 25fps to now 30fps making the game a more enjoyable experience. Or say it does run at 60fps, when you can get a more steady performance and not have the game fluctuate all the time between 45fps to 60fps

7. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Agree they should have compared crossfire/sli, seems odd that anyone would install an Nvidia with a Radeon unless you can actually prove DX12 is wiping the floor with them. And if you do have a crossfire/sli setup, could you switch that off and have DX12 manage it if it is better?

Again my interest is also enlisting the integrated GPU, particularly on my laptop, there every frame counts.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Everyone seems to want to see SLI results - but that isn't the point of the article at all.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its because they want to see a comparison between says 2x gtx980 and a gtx 980 and a titanx

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you have mixed GPUs can you have G-Sync output on one card and FreeSync on the other enabling you to use either (or even both)?

11. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

The fact that this works is blowing my mind a little. I feel the need to do a cleansing ritual, as if I've witnessed the mistake of an ancient god.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Theoretically, yes - but you'd have to keep swapping your monitor to the output of the card you want to use (i.e. the monitor'd need to be hooked up to the Nvidia card for G-Sync and shifted to the AMD card if you wanted to use FreeSync instead - assuming your monitor supports both, of course.)

That's as I understand it, mind. I could be wrong. It has been known.

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

My take from this was if you had a high end AMD gpu but wanted the benefit of a second Nvidia card to handle physx that this would work out of the box with no funky drivers?

Did I misread something? Forgive me if I am wrong but this seems like the holy grail..

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

SC2 , heartstone , diablo 3- all good games.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

All 3 massive sellers for a few reasons one of the main is the lack of system requirements. Diablo 3 Hearthstone and SC2 can all be run on a very low end system.

Its the reason the likes of Dota 2 and LOL have saw the huge uptake that they have done.

DX12 will not hit a hugely popular game till blizzard decides WOW needs to support it. Or Microsoft decides Halo 5 needs a PC release as dx12 only.

Performance wise you do wonder what will be the first actual huge AAA Game to support DX12 and actually see big sales in retail.

Ashes minimum specs are stupid also, Stardock have basically made there specs if you do not own a top end gaming pc do not purchase. ( its on steam early access for anyone intrested)

brought it myself, Its great fun to play like all RTS games made by Stardock are. I do wonder if we will see a real campaign or just another Sins style where you can play vs AI on a range of maps. Guessing it will get very good mod support as Stardock do support the community very well in that regard.

I personally do not even meet the minimum specs and it still runs flawlessly at high settings. ( do not own 8gb of ram ) Recommended is 16gb lol.

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I'm on 16GB ram - its £35 for 8GB now

17. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Finally a use for all those poor gpus on the Intel k series chips that have been sitting there, waiting for their moment to add something. Anything. Even just 1 or 2 fps.

18. Gareth Halfacree

So's my £500, three-year-old desktop. I spent the cash I saved buying an AMD APU over an Intel chip on extra RAM. The laptop's only 4GB, though - but that rarely has more than a web browser and a text editor running, with a little bit of 20-megapixel image editing if I'm attending an event overnight.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

This is the prospect I'm most interested in. The Anand article mentioned Unreal engine 4, which uses the IGPU for post processing and adding a few FPS. I think this is a brilliant idea.

However, I'm not sure how many have actually read the article in depth.

There is a HUGE limitation with this implementation: developers. Although possibilities are huge with unlinked explicit multi-GPU Dx12 mode used by Ashes of Singularity, it requires the developer to optimise for all possible GPU combinations.

The reason Anand only tested 2 high-end graphics cards is precisely that. They have an early build of the demo with very limited configuration possibilities. The other reason is that the demo still uses alternate frame rendering (AFR) as used in Crossfire and SLI, rather than more advanced (and better IMHO) rendering techniques when the game engine have complete control of resources. So the processing power of the GPU has to somewhat match.

20. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Which is just what the PC market needs. MOAR FRAGMENTATION!