1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple SSD Slow Random 4k Writes - Normal?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Guinevere, 9 May 2011.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Hey you guys

As my PC is just for gaming these days (A worthy use), and I spend my working days on of my MacBook Pro, I've moved my 120GB Vertex SSD from the i7 beastie into the laptop.

As I really didn't want to do a clean OS install due to knowing it would take hours to configure all the tweaks and custom scripts etc. I migrated the OSX install to the SSD via Carbon Copy Cloner's file copy methods (not block copy).

First up it felt pretty slow, xbench agreed (5MBs 4k write, <70MBs 256k read) so I flashed the drive to 1.7 which helped, then ran the Sanitary Erase which helped even more.

Xbench now showing reads that can top 200MBs but 4k random writes are at 10% of that at best.

So...

Are my 4k random writes always going to be pants on this drive? I never benched it under Win7. Before the Sanitary Erase it was certainly booting and loading apps fast.

Is there any evidence to say I'll get better performance on a clean OS install compared to a CCC file copy? I couldn't find any, and it doesn't "feel" right that I should...

Spec is 13" 2009 MBP, 2.2GHz, 8GB, OSX 10.6.7

EDIT:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 May 2011
  2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

After a bit more digging, I'm happy with the benchies above. I've got a <30 sec boot compared to three times that, and a 5sec shutdown. Apps etc all start many many times quicker than before.

Be interesting to see if I get any better battery life.

But now my PC is a little slower :(

3. KentonMod

KentonMod What's a Dremel?

Yeah, that's very-very interesting :)