1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple MacBook pro 2006

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by fdbh96, 11 Sep 2011.

1. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    I got asked by my cousin if I could fix his MacBook pro even though he has a new one. Basically I know sod all about macs but might buy it off him if I can fix it "cheapish". When I press the power button it makes a weird noise then the display goes to this...
    [​IMG]

Then this [​IMG]

Then this [​IMG]

Then finally this
    [​IMG]

It's running mac os version 10.6.6 and he has sent it to a apple store and they said:

Issue: the unit has garbled video on boot

Steps to reproduce: verified at the bar booted from external drive and plugged external monitor unit. Has issues booting to the internal drive.

Proposed resolution: recommended display/MLB (what does MLB mean?) and hdd.

For a board,logic,2.33ghz,256 VRAM, a display, and a repair charge is £609.

What I want to know is how I can get the laptop to output to a display in that state ( is it possible?) and can I just put a sata 2 2.5" hdd from my windows laptop in it and format it to mac.
    I'm not really willing to pay more than £150 to repair it and is there any way to recover the data by putting the mac hdd into my windows pc.

TIA
    BH

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Attach an external monitor to it, and see if happens.
    If it happens as well on the external monitor, then the GPU is finished.
    If it does not, then the LCD panel cable might be partially removed. Open the laptop (screen lid and inside the actual system, to make sure the screen ribbon wire is well attached), or the LCD panel is broken.

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I tries that connected my dell u2311h via dvi and I can't see anything on the screen and I don't know how you get anmac to connect to an external monitor (it stayed black).

4. GoodBytes

I don't know either.
    Maybe, try playing in teh display options, if you can with your Mac featuring Blocky-Vision. :)

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Tbh think about it I think the hdd is stuffed as there isn't any icons or the finder bar at the top so I might reformat my hdd to mac and install mac os ojpn that

6. GoodBytes