1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Do i need a hard drive enclosure with Power?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hardtailstar, 5 Oct 2011.

1. hardtailstar

hardtailstar "insert title here"

Hi All,

I have an Omega GHDU2 external hard drive. The circuit board that was inside it failed so i took out the hard drive and chucked it into a pc to check the data was still on it which it is.

I want to keep it as an external hard drive so looking to get an enclosure.

The orginal casing had a power supply going into it and a Printer like USB cable coming out to connect to the computer.

Do i need to get an enclosure that has a power source or will it work with just a usb cable?

Many Thanks

2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

What type of hard drive was inside, a 3.5 desktop drive or a 2.5 laptop drive? If it is desktop then it will require more power for sure, else a 2.5 may or may not but are often powered through a special usb lead with 2 connectors. The reality is just finding an enclosure that fits your drive and interface should be enough, the manufacturer should spec it with a separate power supply automatically if required.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

If the circuit board fail why do you think the USB is going to work?

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

to me it sounds like the conversion board has failed, not the drive board

5. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Also he has clarified that the data is there by using it SATA so just need an enclosure to keep it external, general rule, if it had power it will probably need power!