1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Analog or USB: the difference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arghnews, 8 Nov 2011.

1. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Sorry for being such a n00b:D but looking at headsets recently I'd just like to ask the simple questions :

Are there any differences except price/physicality between USB or Analog headsets?

Specifically, analog sets always seem cheaper so I've wondered do they have the same drivers?

Basically, been looking at whether to buy a Corsiar HS1 USB for about £50, or buy the analog version for less and then an Asus Xonar for about £50 on top.
    So if I just bought the analog headset and plugged it in, would it be exactly the same as the USB version, or would the sound quality be worse? Do the drivers that effectively "replace" a soundcard only come in the USB version?

thanks in advance

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

There are differences. Analog headsets/phones are powered using your onboard sound, or dedicated soundcard.

USB has drivers built into the headset, so that you don't need a dedicated soundcard. If you don't want to buy a fantastic soundcard, but want good sound on your headset, USB is a good choice.

However, pair a great soundcard, with a great headset, the quality of sound normally beats a USB set.

With analog, you can also finetune in the soundcard's software to get the sound that suits you.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

The USB version basically has a built in external sound card. The analogue version will just have 3.5mm jacks for mic and headphone sockets. The USB version will install as a second sound card so act a little differently.

It's basically a matter of choice. If you have a decent sound card then the quality might be marginally better but with a gaming headset I doubt it will make that much difference.

I personally favour 3.5mm as they are a bit more versatile.

4. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the posts back guys

So just to confirm, a headset with a 3.5mm connection has the same, or near as makes no difference, drivers/external soundcard as a USB headset. And therefore the type of connector will make almost no difference to sound quality, unless plugged into an internal soundcard?

I just wanna know that if I save myself £20 on a headset with a 3.5mm jack and plug it into the mobo, will I lose any sound quality vs. buying a headset and plugging it in via USB?

Cheers :)

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

A headset with a good soundcard would give slightly better quality.

If you have a crap soundcard, then it wouldn't be worth it.