1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking i5 2500k OC fail

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Edgehill, 3 May 2011.

1. Edgehill

Edgehill What's a Dremel?

Hello to all,

I recently put together a new Build based around an aircooled (2 fan hyper 212+) i5 2500k on an ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard, which I have been slowly overclocking (having done a fair amount of research and read several guides).

However, I have had a mishap during this process. I attempted a number of internet searches to try and find some advice on the subject, but found no solid answers, so was hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself could offer support.

The problem is that, in the process of changing BIOS settings, I managed to mis-set the offset voltage. I was going for +0.060V, but instead entered +0.600V. I did see this mistake before exiting the BIOS and corrected the setting, but rather stupidly forgot to press the Enter key to confirm the new value before restarting. :duh:

On the restart, this brought the CPU Vcore to 1.80V and the BIOS brought up an over-voltage error/warning. This was fixed as quickly as possible (bringing up the BIOS immediately and hitting the "Reset to Default" option), but it would have been running at 1.80V for around 15 seconds.

After this, I reloaded the settings for what had previously been a stable overclock (4.4 GHz @ 1.30v), but this suffered BSoDs (codes 124 and 101) multiple times after only a few minutes running. :waah:

At this point, I reset the CMOS via jumper and tested it on default settings. This proved stable, so I started to bring the overclock back up. After several stages and tests, it has finally reached 4.4GHz again. However, it now requires 1.32v, instead of the 1.30v it had been using previously.

So, I have a few questions I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.

What I have I damaged and how badly? Is it likely to be only the CPU, or could the motherboard or other components have been damaged (either instead of, or in addition to, the CPU)?

More importantly, is it "safe" to keep running everything, or is there a risk of further damaging the CPU and/or any other components? In which case, should I replace the damaged components (whichever they may be) - which I will, if necessary, but would obviously prefer not have to.

If you have any other wisdom on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you in advance for any of your time

CPU - i5 2500k
    Motherboard - ASUS P8P67 Pro
    RAM - 2x4GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz
    Graphics card - HD5850
    Power supply - Coolermaster Silent Pro 700w
    Operating system - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

2. Edgehill

Anyone Got any ideas on this? Even if your not 100% sure any suggestions would be very appreciated, Because im completely lost on this one.

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

I'm not 100%, but I suspect all is ok.

If you had fried it, it would have been unstable regardless what you ran it at or would not have booted up.

Just keep it as is right now, maybe run Prime95 to torture test it over night and keep an eye on it to see what happens.

Just so you know, I have a i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz with 1.30v.

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

From what you have described, i would say that you have damaged nothing.

In my opinion the original OC you had using 1.30v wasnt actually stable, even if the system runs ok for hours it doesnt mean its 100% stable. I have had BSODS or crashes after 18 hours of Prime 95.

Also, bear in mind that not all chips are the same, and that your voltages will vary slightly compared to the next mans.

4.4 at 1.32v seems reasonable to me - But run through a lengthy testing process to ensure it is stable first.

5. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

i agree with this. i think you have inadvertently discovered your original 4.4ghz OC wasnt 100% stable.

FWIW, my 2500k takes 1.35v to run 4.5ghz prime stable.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Agreed, even if you say it had been running at 1.80v for 15 seconds, that's not true mate. The cpu would have throttled back in that time and decreased the clock speed and the voltage, you'll be fine :)

7. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Last edited: 6 May 2011
  8. Edgehill

Thanks everyone for your posts. It is reassuring to know that I'm unlikely to be further damaging it, but I'm pretty sure it is behaving differently to before.

While it might not have been completely 100% stable at 1.30V, it had previously run Prime95 for 9 hours straight without any BSoDs, and no BSoDs in several days of standard use and gaming.

After the mistake, Prime95 wouldn't remain stable for more than a few seconds, and even internet browsing was freezing the machine after only 5 or 10 minutes.

I don't think it was a case of good luck before and bad luck now.