1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows War Thunder?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Elton, 12 Jun 2013.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Anyone played this recently? It's been out for a few months and I know some folks on the BT Mumble play it.

Fun game. Terrible economy but fun game.

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Fun? It's epic!

3. Elton

Definitely Cinematic. I'm so glad they patched in the killer plane that is the Ki-45.

That 37mm OP.

4. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Does this game work with an Xbox controller? Can't be dealing with flying games on keyboard and mouse

5. Elton

You probably could map it to an xbox controller.

But Mouse aim is literally king in this game.

6. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

Did make a post about this a while ago good game but ibe stopped playing if for a while now as they messed up the economy dont know if they fixed it now...

7. Elton

They're planning to. I think the biggest problem though lately is the frankly absurd balancing, the weird economy that stunts progression, and the hilarious FPS drops on Nvidia cards.

That said the DM is much improved and planes drop like flies. Which is very rewarding.

Also, Gaijin's japanese hate seems to have subsided. Although the Russian FM/DM modelers seem to be smoking the ganja.

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

this actually sounds like fun... might give it a whirl...

9. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

It didnt grab me like world of tanks. But its ok for a laugh with mates, i like the idea of the AI controlled units while fighting of human planes. Pretty cool.

10. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

I prob get back into this again once I finish moving house

11. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I'll be rather interested when they add the ships. Need a good ship-ship combat game, seems ages since I used to play the Battlestations games on Xbox..

12. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I've been having an awesome time on this game. It's ridiculously easy to get into due to the non-intrusive free-to-play model and the easy mouse-aim control scheme.

Arcade mode is great fun with planes and shells flying around and everywhere and multiple enemies every second. I found it's easy to get burnt out on it though so that's why I moved on to historic battles. It's a much more tactical and patient game but dayumm is it rewarding when you boom n' zoom someone and blast them apart with your 20mm hispano cannons.

It does have it's problems though being in beta and and all. Currently the economy is ballsed up so it becomes a bit of a grind at later tiers. They are supposed to fixing that very soon though. There have also been quite a few balancing issues with each patch which is particularly noticeable in Historic where the individual flight models are a big factor. Previously the premium FW190 D13 "Dora" was the overpowered FOTM and with the latest patch it was the Russian LA-5/LA-7. They've patched them already though so hopefully things should be better already.

What faction is everyone flying? I started out with the British for obvious reasons and after flying with the Spitfires a lot I prefer them to any other plane. I guess I'm just used to the flight model.

13. wiLLSY

wiLLSY Are you a wizard?

I totally agree with the muppet above me when it comes to War Thunder. For someone like me who had no previous experience in any kind of 'flying game', it was a joy to see how easy it was to understand the basic mechanics of the game and, more importantly, to enjoy it.

Yes it's plagued by problems with its economy, but War Thunder offers something I've never experienced before. It ranges from the satisfaction of blasting someone out of the sky with a hail of lead to simply being in admiration of the beauty held by the various planes on offer. I mean, I can't be the only one on here who loves from time to time to just sit in the cockpit view and watch the instruments as they whirl around...

14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Well if you see me in my russians...run :p Especially my uber giant killing BB-1. Tier 2 monster with Yak-9T, P38 Lightning, multiple 109 variants, P47's, P63's and a Yer-2 on it's trophy list :D

15. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

think i gfot to tier 7 for all of them before i stopped playig

16. Elton

I'm going to be honest though, the D-13 wasn't overpowered as there was no counterplay on the American tree, which was woefully undertiered and underpowered.

It also probably didn't help that BnZ was a very effective tactic.

That said, JAPANESE FOR LIFE! (Even though they've been nerfed so hard all the time)

17. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

It's not so much a case of the Dora being overpowered (which it is, it massively outperforms what it should be capable of historically and that's what they're aiming for) as it is a case of Type-59 syndrome and horrendous matchmaking. I have been in HB's of 16 a-side and the germans had 15 D-13s, it's ridiculous.

It's starting to be a very different story now that Spitfires, Mustangs and carious other higher tier fighters are getting improved, if not yet full, flight models. Just find a Dora, lure them into a tight turn fight and they're toast.

18. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Exactly. A Dora in a tier 14 game is not overpowered. Twelve Doras in a game against level 5-7 allies is. I'd try and climb away from the airfield to get extra altitude and I'd still be swarmed by three at once.

Any balancing issues just get worse as they become the FOTM. People will fly just because of it's OP status and the more people complain the worse it gets.

19. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

It's funny though since when it swings the other way they complain even more. I saw a HB where the axis had, once again, 13 Dora's with 1 me163 and 1 me262. All but the 262 quit the battle immediately when they saw that we had 7 mig15's and 3 sabres.

Pot. Kettle. Black. Lol

20. Elton

I miss my chainsaw Ki-61. D:

Also, the Russian cannon seems conspicuously chainsaw like. Haven't flown the A6M2 Zero much because they still haven't amended the ludicrous rank problem with it. Almost every Japanese plane is slightly overtiered.

The Ki-61Lb is a perfect example of this. The US version is rank 4. The Japanese version (which is the same) is rank 6. Wat. Doesn't even help that the BF109 E-3 premium for the Japanese are rank 6 like the German version.