1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU What to do with E5-2690v2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PyrO_PrOfessOr, 5 Aug 2014.

1. PyrO_PrOfessOr

PyrO_PrOfessOr What's a Dremel?

Hey folks - long time no post!

I've managed to come into a couple of e5-2690v2 CPU's. For those not familiar with them - http://ark.intel.com/products/75279/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2690-v2-25M-Cache-3_00-GHz?q=2690v2

I'm not sure whether to sell them, or if I could invest in a couple of motherboards and turn them into useful servers. They would be running at home, so either 2x1CPU servers, or 1x2CPU server. I know some desktop boards support them - anyone any experience with this? Thoughts on good/cheap server mobo's?

Guess I could also grab a couple of R9 270's/PSU/RAM and sell them on as gaming rigs or something? My current rig is an over-clocked 4770K (4.4GHz) so I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon (only built in April).

Sell the CPU's and get another GFX and X-fire?

Let me know your thoughts!

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Crikey those are certainly some beefy cpu's.

there will be nothing cheap at all about getting skt 2011 server mobo's (well at least, not unless you and I have completely different understandings of "cheap")

Arguably, that's way too much horsepower for servers at home as well, if it's just doing standard home stuff.

are they actual E5-2690v2 chips - or are they Intel Confidential ES chips?

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

It's tempting to say sell but it's a niche CPU and you may find it tricky to find a buyer (certainly here anyway). Add to the fact that they must be worth a good 1k each?

Last edited: 5 Aug 2014
  4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

They would be total overkill for home use and at £1500 a piece brand new I would sell them and look at having a rebuild of your current pc if needed, and then a really good weekend.

If you did decide to keep one then a normal general LGA2011 board might support them, although you would need to check each board.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

They're an easy £1000 each to the right person. Sell sell sell!!!!

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If it were me I would keep one, sell one AND the i7 system. Who cares if it can't OC as high as the 4770K when it has 10 cores. Even though many won't have Xeon listed as officially supported they do work fine on most x79 or x99 motherboards. Such a build would easily crush your current.

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

As cool as **** it would be to have one in a home system, in reality they won't be utilised at all.

10 cores 20 threads at 3ghz though, 3.6 turbo that's some speed lol

So yeah prob sell them

8. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'd suggest selling them on and looking to upgrade your peripherals. Not sure what your current specs are but there's always adding in / grabbing a larger ssd, DACs and amps, headphones, mechanical keyboards, better / more monitors, or just having some extra money around for a rainy day.

9. PyrO_PrOfessOr

PyrO_PrOfessOr What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a plan folks! I'll fire one up on eBay and try and drum up some interest. If It sells I may use the proceeds to grab a 2011 mobo to replace my Hero VI. And then sell the i7 and it, and upgrade the peripherals. Or put it into the house fund...to keep the wife happy.

Thanks again!