1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding an Apple G3 case for PC components...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ryszvaldo, 2 Apr 2005.

1. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Hi,

I am thinking of modding an Apple G3 case for my PC and wondered if anyone has any insights on how big a project this is likely to be?

This is of course assuming that I can find a G3 case - hoping that eBay will come up trumps. I want to add a nice large slimline fan that I found down the scrappy for the side panel (approx 250mm!) as it runs off 12V DC and when linked to a fan controller should be nice and quiet!

Cheers!

2. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

youll have problems with the fact that the G3 case is not a ATX format case.
    YOu have to replace the entire back panal so it will match with the ATX and the mounting holes. Also the PSU mount would have to be redone because the old apple PSUs were bigger than out ATX format ones now.

It can be done but it will take alot of internal work to make it fit.

3. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Replacing the back panel not a huge issue for myself as I have access to some reasonable engineering facilities so I can either mod an existing back panel out of a an old ATX case or knock up a quick cad drawing and get it laser cut!

What I am really unsure about is the available space inside the case - will I need a mATX mobo or will my standard one fit? Also, will I be able to squeeze some watercooling in there as I want a very quiet machine!

4. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

ya you have about 11 inches of hieght for a board.

Due to the nature of the case, Cooling is an issue because of the way it opens. Theres about 2 inches of clearance not including motherboard mounts and all for cooling. You will have to do alot of cutting to fit a larger heatsink or waterblock there. Which G3 are you talki8ng about? Im basing this off the older Biege G3.

5. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Thinking about a blue and white one - just trawled around and found a mod guide on Hexus for a G4 case - Looks as this could be a real pain in the proverbial to do as there appear to be real problems with the ram spacing and the optical drive bay on the front...

Is the G3 B&W the same internally as the G4?

6. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

for the most part, yes

Edit

Looking at some pictures of a G3 B&W it looks like its built different from my biege. link

Last edited: 3 Apr 2005
  7. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Cheers chief!

I've been desperatley googling for a while now trying to find out what the dimensions are so that I can model this up and see if it's feasible but no luck!

Still, I really like the idea of this and I could do with a new challenge! (10wk old son not enough? hmmmm.............)

Tee Hee.

8. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I've done the g4 case to pc conversion and it isnt easy. (thats mine on hexus :) ) The main problem is that you cannot squeze the dvd/cd drive in the normal place. Other than that most of its just a case of modding the case to fit the particular motherboard. (You will need to remove ports from the motherboard which isnt for the faint of heart :D :D

For my log go here it may help

http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/main.php?page=badapple

The cases are almost identical I believe so you should come across the same problems as I did

9. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Cheers Gordy!

Reading your log, it appears to be the ram on the mobo that is the problem with the optical drive. If I made a new front panel and moved the optical drive up a notch or so, would this help? I want the machine for every day use so I need to have the optical drive on the front of the case. You said that mobo ports would have to be removed, is this to use the G3 I/O plate or could I just cut the whole thing out and replace it?

10. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Yeah the ram hits the optical drive when you put the motherboard in place. There are a couple of solutions to this problem, one is to move the drive as I did to the back but obviously that isnt for everyone.

The other is to get a different motherboard, a motherboard from a shuttle barebones unit would solve that issue but you may have problems with the layout or the ports and you'd only have one pci slot.

A third option is to raise the optical drive to the top of the case and fit it there.

A fourth solution would be to use a slimline drive for use in laptops as this should fit in without hiting the motherboard but you'd have to play with the door for the cd to make it work I'd guess.

As for the ports the way a pc motherboard fits in with the pci slots means that the bottom few slots on the motherboard hit the chassis between the topmost pci/agp slot and where the mac ports stick out of the chassis. So in order to fit any agp/pci slots you need to remove the bottom few ports.

If you look at the pictures you should get a better idea of what I mean :)

I know this all sounds like I'm saying its a bad idea for a project but I'm not they are great cases I hope you don't get put off the idea! :)

Oh and heres a link that may aid you : http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzUx

11. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Cheers Gordy,

I like the idea of the shuttle mobo - I am thinking of a skt 754 64bt proc and a 6600 GT gpu and the only other thing that I want to put in the pci slot is possibly an audigy 2 sound card!

If I do this, then I am going to remove the 120mm fan from the lhs of the case which should give me a bit more room.

BTW - Very nice work on the G4 case! :thumb:

12. 0skar

0skar What's a Dremel?

Converting an Apple G3 case to a PC

I stumbled upon this site that does exactly that, converts an apple G3 case to accept a PC motherboard. It has lots of pictures and explains the issues to consider.

http://www.petervis.co.cc/G3PC/G3PC_1.html

After reading it, i've decided to do the same. I am looking for a G3 case so I can convert it.

hope it helps

13. hamzie

hamzie What's a Dremel?

Hi im new here. Im planning to buy a new casing using this g3 case. Will my Full ATX Motherboard fit this case? If it wont fit, im thinking of placing the mobo horizontally and just mod the connectors to backplate using extensions with are cheap here in my country. Im not sure if its a good idea, so im open for suggestions. Thx.