1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other what os ??

Discussion in 'Software' started by steveneedle, 17 Apr 2013.

1. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

hiya
    this may seem a funny question ...so here I go
    im using my pcs for usual stuff but also folding...
    at the moment I am folding 24/7 but I don't like it on my pc...
    looking at buying a IBM ESERVER X SERIES 335 8676-M1X SERVER
    very cheap ....
    but what os can I run on it.,,,
    im running windows 8 on my pc...
    but have a licencse for vista and xp....
    what could I do?

2. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

You can try using Vista, I'm assuming that you have Pro or Ultimate. It supports up to 2 CPU's with up to 32 threads each. Failing that you can just use a linux server OS.

In theory you can use either XP or Vista, as they should run ok, check for drivers before you install the OS, in that there are drivers that support your hardware. Vista is a big improvement over XP on several levels so try that first.

3. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

no I think the vista is home....so guess it wont work
    is Linux server easy to use?
    is it free?

Last edited: 17 Apr 2013
  4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

How easy linux is to use depends a lot on your familiarity with it, which for you I am assuming is none. I would reccomend using something that is more freindly to novice like ubuntu and yes it is free.

5. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

is Ubuntu similar to windows?
    would I need the desktop version or the server??
    as id be running a dual chip board?

6. workingclass

What version XP you have?

7. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

xp pro...not sure if that's 32 or 64 bit

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

linux server has no gui and is all terminal based

9. workingclass

Well, Vista Home Basic supports only 1 CPU and up to 8GB RAM. (to use 8GB you'd have to have 64-bit)

XP Pro supports 2 CPU's and if you have 64-bit version this might be worth a try for you... but be wary that this might not work, or even if working might be problematic, or might work fine.

If your buying this server based on if you have an OS for it or not, then I recommend googling for a day or 2 to be sure this will work. If you're going to buy it anyway just go ahead and try XP, if it doesn't work its time to learn Linux :) I would refer you to this excellent introduction right here on bit-tech: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=117592

This might help you decide. If a Linux server is not to your liking, you can also just try a Linux desktop version, those are not so dissimilar from Windows to be scary, but they are different.

From that link I posted: "Well, actually all Linux distributions can and will handle server task without a flaw. Only some are better at the task then others."

My guess, and keep in mind that I have no experience in this, is that XP will work fine for what you want to do. If that were to fail, you can use one Linux version or another and there are many that are not so scary and would likely work very well for you. Seeing as that you are mostly going to use it for folding this should not be a problem, and best case you will learn Linux and become comfortable with it and might think about extending the uses of your new server :)

Last edited: 17 Apr 2013
  10. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

looking quickly on the Ubuntu site...I think it says that the desktop version is multi cpu supported???
    can anyone say if that's right cuz the desktop version looks just like windows

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Both the ubuntu desktop and server editions are multi-cpu supported.

Frankly it's painful to here Vista being suggested for anything other than a beer mat.

A lot of people are put off by linux because it seems difficult, but really it's not. There is a huge amount of support out there and has become very simple to setup.

12. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

the Ubuntu desktop looks quite good.....just hope its up to running an old server...lol

13. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have ubuntu desktop and server running on loads of old dell desktops.

14. workingclass

Seeing as I ran it without a hitch for about 5 years qualifies it imo to be recommended for any task that it is capable of. Seeing as I've taken courses in XP and Win 7 and still like Vista a lot, again makes me confident that this recommendation is not beyond the limits of Vista. It may require more hardware than XP and is not a slick as 7, but for what it was designed to do, it does it perfectly.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

if it's for folding - linux
    if it's not for folding - probably still linux, or a 64-bit 'pro' copy of vista or later, if memory serves the 'home' versions only do one physical CPU

16. workingclass

Your memory is correct Flames.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Linux is wonderful for breathing new life back into ageing hardware, it can be as "lightweight" as you wish it to be, with many many distro's out there.

If I were you, install Virtualbox and have a look at a few distro's as virtual machines before pulling your hair out.

After thinking about this and the age of your hardware the Ubuntu desktop edition might cause a few issues with the Unity desktop environment since they dropped the 2D edition and went full 3D accelerated. This isn't an issue if your installing server edition but considering your new to it all then a desktop environment would be a better starting point.

With this in mind, consider Linux Mint mate or xfce edition. It's basically Ubuntu, which is a fork of Debian, but Canonical behind Ubuntu support updates for Mint, or at least that's too my understanding.

18. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

oh wow....I am now lost...lol
    ive heard people saying about virtual machines but doing it im not sure ...
    guess ive got so used to windows
    ill try the desktop version an see how I go
    can u run virtual machines on the desktop version?

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

You can run virtual machines pretty much on anything.

But on your Windows 8 machine, your daily driver so to say install Virtualbox, very simple process and then download a linux distro iso, then follow the Virtualbox wizard at installing the desired distro.

20. steveneedle

steveneedle Minimodder

that sounds double dutch to me...
    when the server turns up ..hopefully Friday...
    I was going to download the Ubuntu onto a usb....then try an install it on the server
    does that sound right so far??