1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Relocating indicator lights and power button question.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Teek5449, 20 Jan 2010.

1. Teek5449

Teek5449 What's a Dremel?

I have a quick question that a quick search yielded no results. I would like to relocate the HDD led, power led, power switch , and reset switch to an alternate location and was wondering how far, length wise, is it possible to wire them? For example I would like to move them outside my case and inside a project enclosure that would sit on top of my desk resulting in maybe a four foot wire length, is this doable? I know there is a voltage drop over copper line and I would never imagine this working over great distances but a small increase seems possible without any negative consequences. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for your replies :)

2. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

There is a voltage drop over coper line but it will have no noticeable effect until you get to silly long distances, meters and meters I would imagine. The switches only have current flowing when the button is pushed and the current is tiny anyway so the voltage drop will be similarly tiny. The LEDs will have on the order of 10ma flowing through them, you would have to increase the resistance by 100ohms to change the voltage by 1v and at a very rough guesstimate you would need about 1Km of wire to get that.

Moriquendi

3. Teek5449

Teek5449 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like what I was thinking, no issues... thank you for your quick reply.