1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Gymkhana Mod II - Update: 02.04.13 - Final Pictures!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Moddingboy, 21 Aug 2012.

1. Moddingboy

Moddingboy What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Welcome Everyone! ;)

After a little break I am here again and I would like to show you my new project. I was thinking about many ideas but I like sooo my previous project so I choose the continuing of that. So the theme is again the Ken Block car but now its the latest version of the Fiesta, shown on the latest video of him.

The case for the project is the CM Silencio 550 and it provided by Cooler Master to me to mod. As my plans 'says' it will not radically modded on its shape but on its paintwork and the little details. The color-scheme will be black, white and orange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-SPONSORS-

[​IMG]

Codemasters - Cooler Master - DREMEL - Kingston Technology - Lamptron - MSI - PC Gear - Sapphire Technology

I'll be post soon. :)

Last edited: 16 Mar 2013
    Livio likes this.
  2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Your first Gymkhana mod turned out great, excited to see what you do this time around!

3. Moddingboy

mansueto - Im glad to see you like my previous mod. :) Im on the way to make a quality work again or do it better. :dremel:

4. Moddingboy

Until I don't post new photos about the build I would like to introduce you a modding of a CM Storm Xornet mouse what I did in the month for an hungarian competition. It has the same theme as my previous (and WIP) projects so it fits to this worklog :)

About the process - I started with rough sanding then did with finer papers so after this a sanding-cleaning massacre I shoot the primer to the mice in two layers.
    After 2 hours of drying I used masking vinyls and an airbrush (my 1st airbrush-job) to do the complicated 'exploded-dry-mud like' pattern. First I sprayed the black and white zones then the 'grid' layer was the next, and after all the orange splatter.
    I modified the cable with some MDPC orange sleevings. Precisely caring about the details I measured the heatshrink to fit inside of the body of the Xornet. I applied DiNOC Carbon too but I was hesitated about the color - orange or black - but the black was the nicer. After the works I replaced the decal on the bottom of the mouse :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the all photos via Picasa.

If you were at the DCMM 2012 you saw my mouse at live because it was on view sorrounded by the other great works of art by the other competitors of the mentioned hungarian Xornet modding contest.

[​IMG]

5. J-Lyons

J-Lyons What's a Dremel?

That mouse is amazing, great job.

6. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Great to see you there, my friend! Let's do some modding on this case! :)

7. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

As a Ken Block fan due to being a petrol head but also a modder I will be looking forward too seeing what you do with this case and that mouse is just quality, well done :D

8. N!ck

N!ck ModMag.Net

Followed your first Gymkhana Mod and it was EPIC! :rock: Looking forward to seeing the completed Gymkhana Mod II. The mouse looks super awesome (the carbon fibre texture and the orange sleeving rule!). By the way, already announced your mod on my website .

9. Moddingboy

Hey guys thanks for the comments and sorry for the late reply. There was a little pause in the work but now Im on to work harder so You'll get soon new posts/photos in this worklog. :dremel:

N!ck - Thanks for the share on your site! Its really appreciated! :)

10. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Great! Looking foward to see the followings!

11. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

That's gonna be awesome, especially because I love Gymkhana ;)

12. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Omg that film is so EPIC :) I like it OF yeah nice start :)

13. fr0Zen

fr0Zen back i guess

you do know that now you have to do one for every video ;)

14. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

Dam you and your Gymkhana mods! They make me want to go outside and roast the tires off my car!

I loved the last one and I'll be following this one too.

:cooldude:

15. Moddingboy

Thanks guys!

fr0Zen - I have new project ideas in different themes but maybe when a new video will be released I'll get infected about it. ;)

BOBDBONE - Thank you! Don't forget to get it on video then share it us :D

16. Moddingboy

-WORKFLOW-

Sadly I was delayed with the building because many reasons. I had an idea to use an aluminum frame to the plexiglas on the sidpanel - this idea inspired by the Battlefield 3 themed Case by Bill Owen.
    After the exact measurements I've got some help from my friend to create 3D drawings about the frame then we sent them to CNC Millers, Laser Cutters etc to get prices (I don't have the equipment to create things as easy like these machines do). After a couple of weeks of 'hunting' I ain't got no reply from bunch of them. If they wrote they said no because my little order. If they wrote yes the price was too d@mn high.
    So I paused the project a little bit to rest it out, then I had the idea to drop the aluminum and use plexiglass instead of. I find a business in a blink of an eye who can laser-cut the two frames. Yes it is escalated to two different pieces - one for the sidepanel and one for the front. Both of the frames needs more work after the lasercutting but I'll wrote about their process soon.

Day 1: 2012-11-12 / Task: Double fan grille
    On the first day I started with the big fangrille for two 120 mm fans. The factory default Silencio 550's front is covered and has lower airflow on its front so I decided to let the interiors breathe - throught the front-door. A big hole isn't enough so one of the plexiglass frames wil go here merged with the fan grille.
    The grille was cutted from 0,5 mm steel sheet what used to be a casing of an old PC. Recycling is the best :)
    For the pinpoint accurate cuttings I applied a masking vinyl to aim then after many hours I entertrain myself with the song of my Dremel. The shape is not a simple one so after rough cuts I filed the details with filers through hours and hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2: 2012-11-13 / Task: Double fan grille pt.2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3: 2012-11-14 / Task: Double fan grille pt.3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 4: 2012-11-16 / Task: Double fan grille pt.4
    Success! I didn't ever think about to how many hours will need to create this grille. A few days and around 25 work hours but I think it worth it.
    Hope You guys think the same :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 5: 2012-11-20 / Task: Working on the front plexi-frame
    After finishing the fangrille I jump to the frame I wrote before. This will be around the great-hole on the front. To install the way I want I needed to work on it.
    The milling needs special bits for my Dremel so I got supported by Dremel with these special bits.
    For fixing the multitool I used a vertical stand then with a wooden piece I can move my fram under the miller to get straight lines.
    The same day I began to do the airflow hole on the front door so watch the photos for details :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 6: 2012-11-22 / Task: Working on the front plexi-frame pt.2
    I did the finings with filers on the hole to get perfect size to fit the plexi-frame. I drilled the holes for mounting but when I saw my bad - unfortunately I forgot to calculate with the hinges. One of them is in the way so I cut a little area out to get the steel grill to its place. It wasnt enough so I chipped a little piece out of the grille too. PERFECT. Everything fits. :thumb:

I begin to draw the exact place of the sidepanel frame but it gets too late so the cutting will be on the next day's task.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Njuso

Njuso What's a Dremel?

nice :)

18. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Great work so far my friend!:thumb:

19. Moddingboy

Thanks for your comments ;)

20. Moddingboy

-WORKFLOW-

Day 7: 2012-11-23 / Task: Sidepanel fun

I done the remaining work with the sidepanel. I cutted out the selected area then I tried the frame to its place with HEX bolts to have a look.
    These frames will not be this clear - transparent. They will get nice Orange paintwork and the bolts will be blacks.
    Im on to get the plexiglass to the sidepanel window but I can't choose - Clear or Darkened...

Oh BTW before the cutting I removed the factory default noise isolating foamy - It will be useful when the time has come. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]