1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 1 GTX 570 + 2 monitors - is this ok?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bemused, 12 Jan 2011.

1. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'm working on building a PC and have pretty much settled (thanks to some excellent advice here) on a GTX 570.

I intend to use it with two screens, so my plan was to simple plug two monitors into the card. However; checking out the nivida forums I found a thread reporting that doing this with screens at different resolutions (which I'll be using) causes the card to run very hot.

Given that it's easy to be worried by random threads on the internet does anyone here have practical experience running two screens on a single GTX 570 at different resolutions. And, if you do have you been worried by the card running hot.

The thread is here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187662

Ultimately I'm planning to run three screens of the same resolution with twin 570s but if indeed they do have heating issues I'll have to rethink.

I'm sort of assuming if a manufacturer provides two ports on the back of a card they've tested this configurations.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

indeed they will have heat issues. unfortunately all nvidia graphics cards have this issue. they never bothered to fix this. i think the problem started with GT200 series, at least i noticed it on my gtx260.

it is not really heat issues, it is the card runs at full 3D speed, it will not go down to idle 2D speeds. thus creating a lot of heat and uses a lot of power.

ATI cards are a little better, they stay at a speed between 2D and 3D speeds. so it might be worth looking into. and ATI cards don't require 2 cards to run 3 screens. another thing to consider.

3. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my question is in a decent case with the standard cooling on the card does it matter if it runs hot and how hot is too hot?

I don't really mind if something is working hard, just as long as it's designed to work hard. I just want to make sure it isn't working too hard :)

4. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Do duel 470s running a pair of monitors have the same issue. I'm thinking of purchasing two identical 24" screens

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

how hot is too hot..... good question :)

my guess would be perhaps run at about 60c idle and under usual gaming load, it will be no different from other cards at 80c. it shouldn't be too hot for a GPU.

my housemate had the same gtx260 i had, but run it with dual-monitor and it ran at over 60c most of the time. didn't have any problem with it, apart from the sticker is pealed.

@HandMadeAndriod, no idea sorry, i have never touched or read into multi-GPU configurations.