1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New Monitor; 24"ish, nothing too expensive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by llOriginll, 20 Jul 2011.

1. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Hey Guys,

Looking to upgrade my monitor from this pitiful 19" 1280x1024 to something a lot more sizeable, looking in the region of 24" or so, not too fussed about resolution and looking to connect by DVI-D. I'd like it to be tiltable if possible (so as to watch movies from bed and across the room) and am a sucker for a sexy looking screen.

Currently looking at the 23" LG offering on ebuyer (here) but am very much open to suggestions, opinions and ideas. I'm not fussed about it being new/used but I want it to be reliable. Obviously any increase in the amount I spend over that monitor linked needs to justifiable in relation to that monitor, but £130 isn't my ceiling. That said, less is more in regards to my expenditure so if I should go higher I'd like it to be very justified.

Thanks for your help guys, appreciated!

Chris

2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

3. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

That does sound and seem considerably better as a monitor, especially glancing at reviews on the net. Always know a Ultrasharp is a good choice but I don't think I can really justify stretching to one of those right now.

I assume I should perhaps wait for goodbyte's suggestions first :p

4. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

well get the LG THEN! it is the same panel, but downgraded slightly, and I suspect goodbytes will just emphasise what I have said, probably in much more detail though and hopefully he will give TN panels another damn good thrashing that they deserve :)

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I actually feel sorry for TN panels - they may not be able to hold a candle to IPS panels, but they aren't that bad; the only real problem with them is price: IPS is getting so cheap now that TN is becoming obsolete.

Ultrasharp are expensive and very high quality monitors (not professional grade though).

If I was a gamer and didn't need fancy monitors for work, I'd buy a TN :D

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

thetrashcanman provide with excellent suggestions. The price of both is right. You WILL get what you paid for. And to be honest... that is the price of a monitor. TN panel prices are too low (too good to be true).

If we look a few years back... a 17inch descent CRT (one that doesn't flicker - with some high grade phosphor on the glass to maintain the light produced by the cathode ray), is about 400-450$ US/Canadian. The suggested models, are like what half price from CRT's, and much bigger.... come one, it should be easy to justify the price.

Why I love IPS panels:
    -> Beautiful, rich colors... and I don't know marketing words to say "we boosted the saturation level for you". I mean the colors are really nice... and that is JUST from an entry level IPS panel, which what is being suggested here. It's able to achieve this, thanks to 2 things, which TN panel doesn't have (because TN panel is all about low cost monitors): a color processor, and a high grade LCD liquid used.

-> Anywhere you are looking at the screen (except on the back, of course), you see the same beautiful image, no color shifts, no contrast shifts. That means, you can sit on your bed with some nice pillows to make it like a sofa, and enjoy your movies, shows, and games, without constantly going up and adjust the screen to get the perfect view.. and then you move.. and your screwed again.

-> Very low back light bleeding. IPS panels provide a much lower back light bleeding. While TN panels are visible even on colors, sifting your colors, IPS panels doesn't affect colors. It is only visible on backs (sadly this is a LCD in general limitation... only really high end (read: 1000-1500$ and up for a 22/24inch), IPS or even better PVA panels, you don't see it.
    Like only if you set the suggested panels on a pure black screen, and at max brightness (very bright) you'll see it on all 4 corners (this is normal for an IPS panel). But a wide screen movie, or dark scenes in a movie or game, at normal brightness.... not a chance.

-> IPS panels are not aimed (not yet) at the low end market, so you do get good build quality (the Dell model suggested is higher quality than the LG one, hence the higher price tag). The Dell model feature a metal stand, including the arm. The black parts are in plastic for decoration, but full heavy metal under it. Both feature a fully adjustable stand with metal mechanical system for long lasting stands. The Dell monitor feature a high grade CFL lamp for some fantastic whites. White LED's, while great for laptop as they consume less energy, so longer battery life, provide a blu'ish tone on the whites... so not so great. Of course they are a variety of white LED's cheap one (very blue), and high end with a closer white, but so far, there are none that comes to the same as a high grade CFL lamp. Finally, the Dell model feature Display Port as well as DVI and VGA. Display Port is slowly replacing DVI, and now starting to appear on descent laptops. So you are ready for that. UltraSharp series, won't get better then now.. trust me it won't, I saw the coming up UltraSharp models that is coming really soon, and they are a HUGE disappointment, even in term of quality (plastic stand, ugly late 90's design, poor specifications), I cannot recommend them, to a point that I am not even waiting for it to be released and for reviews.. I know they will be a big drop in build and image quality than now.

-> More sharp. As the pixel is full filled, you have a better sharpness than a TN panel. So even if you put (ultimate test), the monitor in portrait mode (taller than wider), the text is still super sharp. Do that on a TN panel, even the best, you'll get text that is more blurry than before, and more difficult to read.

So 5 reasons why IPS panel give you A LOT for your money. So far, no one here has been disappointed. Everyone are amazed by them.. and these are just entry level IPS panels. Imagine the higher end models, like the Dell U2410, which features a true 8-bit panel, and a 10-bit Look Up Table, with a 12-bit color processor... just to say... it can output 1.07 billion colors.

Or crazier, the Dell U3011, or U2711 which features a true 10-bit panel, for true 1.07 billion colors.

I have the Dell U2410, and if you can afford it, JUMP on it. I know the price tag is high.. but you'll feel that you got a gift for what you paid for, also considering that it's what I call a true wide screen (16:10... or 4:6, with more space on the right, the height doesn't degrease), all the inputs you can possibly ask for, short of a TV-Tuner (Display Port, HDMI, 2x DVI, VGA, Component and Composite), and side-by-side Picture-in-Picture. I use my old VCR as a TV-Tuner for some analogue TV on my monitor :) And to top things off, as a bonus feature, comes with 2x pre-calibrated color profile, with report: Adobe RGB and sRGB for stunning colors out of the box (well install, and go in the menu, and pick sRGB or Adobe RGB based on your taste).

Which ever you pick (including the U2410), you will NOT be disappointed for what you get for your money.

Now, some additional info:
    -> The Dell U2311H is a bit faster, despite the lower response time (remember there is no standard in-calculating this):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's input lag is similar to the LG one at about 3ms difference... so no difference in real world.

Both Dell U2311H and the LG one are 6-bit panels (like all TN's), but looks MUCH better thanks to it's 8-bit color processor and 8-bit Look Up Table. TN panels, just uses a set circuit short of a "fake" Look Up Table, mixed with a low grade LCD liquid.. you get the washed out color effect. You won't get this effect from the IPS pane. In fact, EVERY review site where shocked when the U2311H panel (it's an LG), technical documentation stated it was a 6-bit panel. Everyone thought it was an 8-bit panel.

Despite it's shorts from the LG IPS231P-BN , considering the price, it's very good choice.

Pictures above was provided by TFT Central review on the LG IPS231P:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_ips231p.htm

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I bought a 2311h and I was so glad I went over budget it looks great (metal stand) and the image quality is noticably better

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I have a U2311H, and compared to my old monitor (Asus VK222W, which is a very very good TN screen) The IPS wins through easily. Just comparing pictures side by side the IPS give better, more natural colour reproduction, the light/darks are less harsh and it shows way more detail. Easily worth the money :)

9. Xir

Xir Modder

You might consider getting a bigger screen.
    I went from a 19" 1280x1024 to a 24" 1920*1080, which is about the same height, just wider.
    Anyway they stand side-by-side and just the widht doesn't do it for me, actually the 24" 16:9 feels smaller.
    (and yes, 16:9 is Boooo and 16:10 is for real men...get over it 16:9 is the new standard wether we like it or not) :D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

10. GoodBytes

1920x1200 is the the wide screen version of 1600x1200.
    Just saying...

11. Huge

Huge aka Dave

I have three Ultrasharps (2x1906FPs and 1x2209WA). Got them on ebay, cost me less than £150 for all three. The 2209WA is still on sale now - for £250, and it's rated by cnet as being 'the best 22" monitor we've ever seen". Having moved to Ultrasharp I couldn't advise any other screen. I use a 24" Ultrasharp (with two 19"s) in work, another great screen, and as said, you can get it in 16:10, perfect!

Anyway, my advice would be to go with an Ultrasharp, you won't be disappointed. Get on ebay and you can pick up a perfect condition U2411 for around £150+P&P. Worth it!

(The reason I have a 22" not a 24" is because it is exactly the same height as my 19"s, my three monitors look like a set. As a perfectionist that makes me very happy.)

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ok, so bearing the above in mind - will we also see a drop in price?

13. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Im liking the info in this thread. Im looking out for monitors in preparation for BF3.

Would the Ultrasharp IPS monitors be suitable for gaming? Ive seen mixed reviews.

Also, is the jump from U2311H to U2410 worth it?

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

BF3 is the reason I got my U2311H...

15. Xir

Xir Modder

...the 24" ultrasharp is 450ish pounds...that's quite a difference and beats the "nothing too expensive" in the description?

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

No way if it's for gaming IMHO - I'd never have gotten expensive IPS screens if the primary use of my rig was to play games; If I was a gamer I'd sooner get another 28" TN display than a small (or large) IPS screen for 2x the price.

17. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

That's some seriously good knowledge and write up there Goodbytes. You've put forward an extremely convincing argument regarding IPS panels and that definetly sounds like something I'll be investing in. The viewing angle ability alone sells it to me because I don't have to worry about the tilt and angle of the screen.

Thank you as well for everyone elses input, it's settled a lot in my mind. Currently I'm a little out of the way in regards to the U2410 as sweet as it looks and sounds, but would it be worth me making the investment into a U2311H over the previously linked LG panel? It's considerably more (half again) but if the quality of the stand and screen is jutified in the price I'd be quite happy to push myself too it.

Thank you again Goodbytes for all the input as well as everyone else, why I love this forum <3

18. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Yeah the U2311H is tempting me too. Im just not sure its the best monitor for gaming. Which is what i really want it for.

I want something that looks 'The Nuts' when i max out the settings on the latest games.

19. Huge

Huge aka Dave

You have to decide what's most important. Hopefully this will help make up your mind.

TN Screens
    A TN panel screen can offer very low response times (2ms for example), this is the amount of time between showing one frame and the next. The prices are lower than IPS but not by a huge amount anymore.

IPS Screens
    IPS screens are typically slightly more expensive with lower refresh rates. However, they offer better (truer) colour, clarity, contrast ratios and a wider viewing angle.

I chose IPS for it's superior colour, clarity and viewing angles. To illustrate these differences have a look at this youtube video, the TN is on the left and the IPS is on the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP7C00BIzH8

I would always advise going with a Dell Ultrasharp. Here are three cnet reviews of three you might be interested in:

The 2209WA (I have this one)
    http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-2209wa-339294389.htm

The U2311H
    http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-ultrasharp-u2311h-339304283.htm

The U2410
    http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-u2410/4505-3174_7-33772972.html

I would advise you buy one on ebay second hand. You can pay around £100 for the 2209 and around £150 for the 23 or 24" models (with full 1080p resolution).

Hope this helps

20. GoodBytes

I have no idea. In Canada the U2410 was 750$ originally.. but you could negotiate, or as it now at 500$. So I think it's near cost. It could be 350-400$... but choosing all these down point for 350-400$, I would GLADLY pay the extra and get the U2410 now, or call and try an get is at 480-450$ (which you can).

Many people assumes stuff based on the panel technology. "Oh IPS panels are slow, so not for gaming", "Oh there isn't a "gaming" model for this panel technology from any brand, so it must not be designed for gaming". While fair and true several years back.. this is false today. IPS panels are FAR faster then there was. It's not up to TN speeds, in term of response time and input lag (mainly due to the color processor, which they put in most IPS panels for computers).

Basically it comes down to this:
    -> If you are a crazy FPS player, or worst that plays these kind of game for the competition, and not for the entertainment of the game itself. And you feel you need to be the best of the best. Then no, IPS panels aren't for you.

-> If you play casually FPS games (for the entertainment it provides) and any other games (casually or not), then I HIGHLY doubt you will notice a thing. I didn't when I switch from a CRT monitor (the ultimate monitor for speed), to my U2410 using the slowest mode it has: Adobe RGB (or sRGB) profile.

It really depends on you. I play games for fun side, I don't care if I lose matches, I am playing for fun.
    SO while I am enjoying my games, I am not able to enjoy them even more (including movies, especially HD movies), with nicer image. And as a programmer, I enjoy it even more for the sharper text that it provides. No washed out colors.