1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia opens G-Sync DIY upgrade kit orders

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SighMoan

SighMoan What's a Dremel?

No one is going to bother to do that, surely?

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'll be looking into if/when they release it for my monitor. Screen tear can be an annoying issue below 60FPS.

4. Fracture

Fracture What's a Dremel?

I hope this just so happens to be compatible with other monitors - reasonably unlikely I know, but I'd love to see this on a decent monitor.

5. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Tiny monitor is tiny.

6. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

26 inches is really the minimum for a Real Gamer. Looking forward to 4k monitors of 32 inches.

Might all be made irrelevant by the New Era that will be unleashed by Oculus Rift. When they get 2 4k "screens" in that bad boy, it will be the shot heard around the VR world.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

SighMoan, as this is a big modding site/forum I'd say a lot of people on here would disagree with you.

Star*Dagger posting nonsense again I see.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I ordered one. Every G-Sync monitor is +$200. It's the same price for everyone, currently, so unless you want to wait until the next gen when the ASIC is ready, you buy now. People spend far more on a graphics card, yet the experience of G-Sync is farrrr better than just "more FPS" once you see it. Make a point to go somewhere to try it.

Not that I disagree with SD on the VR front, but that is 1-2 years away (at best) from retail as well.
    If you're waiting for FreeSync, imo you'll be waiting equally as long - if ever - no design wins confirmed yet and no one is asking panel/IC makers if they plan to ship monitors with vBlank on by default.

Personally I'm looking to dump for old 24 Samsung for a PB238 and VG248Q on VESA arms: one for colour, one for gaming.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Jan 2014
  9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

My thoughts exactly (including Star*Dagger talking rubbish:D), i was actually thinking what other monitors this could be made to work with (if any) AFAIK the VG248QE uses a panel made by AU Optronics so would probably be found in other monitors.

10. SighMoan

SighMoan What's a Dremel?

I stand corrected :s

11. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I really wish I could get gsync for my Shimian. I think it's really pretty strange they didn't make more effort to have more control boards for many more models of display... or push harder for monitor partners to make them available. The important part is on a so-dimm like card anyway.
    It irritates me that the only way to get gsync right now is with an absolute turd of a display.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

S-IPS? No chance. The pixel response is too low. Currently it can't be used with anything less than TN and IGZO (or LPTS if it ever gets made in sizes above ~20 inches). Electron migration rates in a-Si are too slow, and IPS/VA panels only make it slower to produce correct colour. You'll be waiting for IGZO then, which will take another ~2-3 years to drop in prices as Sharp has the patents to it and is currently sole manufacturer.

Of course most companies will want to sell you a new panel :p It's how people make money. It's a LOT of resource investment in modifying existing panels to only then essentially help users to void their warranty.

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I've seen some talk about upcoming gsync 96Hz+ IPS/PLS. There is a lot of mention of IPS/PLS in gsync press pieces. Really it makes a lot more sense to push gsync on slower panels where the benefit would be more noticeable. I'm sure I'm not alone on the view that I would take a slow but smooth frame rate with decent color and image clarity than 144hz that looks so terrible I don't even want to look it's way.