1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Doctor Who question from someone who doesn't know anything about the show

Discussion in 'General' started by docodine, 10 Aug 2014.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

is doctor who one of those "intentionally bad to the point of being funny" shows? from what i've seen it seems that way, but the rabid fanbase seems to strongly disagree

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's vaguely space-based monster-of-the-week fantasy... Making sense is largely optional and it's not something to be taken too seriously...

Ignore the rabid fans and enjoy it [or not] for what it is...

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

^^ exactly that, it's basically sci-fi pulps made into a visual media - come back next week for the next exciting instalment of "Bill the Galactic Hero!"*

*Bill the Galactic Hero - Harry Harrison 1965 was a novella not a pulp series, and apparently a film is in production, so probably not the best example to give... but it sounds (and reads) like it should've been a pulp

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

It's not 'bad to the point of funny'. It's Sci-fi except... a lot of it is sort of made up. The physics of some of the parts of the programme are made up on the spot. Nothing is to be taken seriously and the Doctor is quite a funny character.

And if you mean bad as a production, it's an extremely well made show. The production values are great.

Start watching it and find out XD

5. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Dire.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Historically it's Sci-Fi in the way that Star Trek was: allegorical tales told on a cardboard stage, but compelling enough to suspend disbelief. Add to that a British Quatermass/Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy eccentricity and you've got Dr. Who.

Like Star Trek, some episodes were cheesy; others were great. Its 21st century sequel compares to Star Trek: The Next Generation; the budgets are bigger, the special effects grander, but the stories just not as good. Although even then there are moments of brilliance: The Empty Child, Blink, Silence in the Library, all written by Steven Moffatt, who could sort of almost be a Sci-Fi version of Neil Gaiman.

And just like Star Trek: The Next Generation spawned a much better Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, so did Dr. Who spawn Torchwood. Much darker and definitely aimed at a more adult audience, one of its best episodes is They Keep Killing Suzie, and of course the chilling mini-series Children of Earth. The last series, Miracle Day had potential but in the end didn't know where it was going. Shame.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You do know Gaiman wrote some nuWho episodes right? [Specifically 'The Doctor's Wife' and 'Nightmare in Silver']

8. Nexxo

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. :)

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

nah, it's just ****

10. Darkwisdom

I think it's okay when they stick to original material. Daleks, weeping angels and such you can't go wrong with. It's when they try to make up storylines that really... are just filler. All of these storylines with his companions are pretty naff. I normally find it watchable, but sometimes it can be pretty naff.

Depends on the writer for the episode, Neil Gaiman wrote a few episodes in fact, all of them great.

11. alf-

alf- Minimodder

The first Weeping angels episode was totally filler, the doctor barely featured. It just so happens the episode happened to turn out to be one of the best. And the weeping angel/s turned out to be one of the best adversaries (I'd personally rate them above any other adversary).

I find doctor who is best when it keeps it simple, It's when they go over the top with bizarre, overly convoluted story-lines, that it can get silly.

And personally the special affects can be pretty hit and miss. The weeping angels, first class. Cybermen, abysmal. Its bad when cos-players look more realistic than the shows walking hunks of plastic body armour.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2014
  12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

On the very odd time that I catch a bit of one it has always felt more like watching a bunch of kids playing 'pretend' than a well made and professionally acted show.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not sure what age group it is aimed at. I am 60 and sometimes I have not got a clue what is going on. But that happens a lot these day with pretty much any part of my life so perhaps I should not be surprised that I sometimes lose the plot with Dr Who.

14. Nexxo

It used to be aimed at teenagers and young adults, but keep in mind that the 70's to 80's were a more innocent time. Now it seems more squarely aimed at young kids and teenagers, and (as the merchandise seems to suggest) middle-aged adult hard core fans.

15. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It's TV's best kept secret that Dr Who is sponsored by IKEA, you can get a discount on a sofa to hide behind if you can prove you are between 5-12 years old and have a Paypal account with enough money in to buy it ;)

[​IMG]

16. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I just watched for Karen Gillan

17. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

It used to be great but since the reboot its sucked.

18. Darkwisdom

The new bird they're using isn't bad either.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Far better than sparrow legs Gillan.

20. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Jenna Coleman