1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Do you suffer from alergies?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 28 Aug 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

After watching the Horizon program last night which dealt with allergies and the quite alarming increase to 1 in three of us or 30% or the population with 2000 people a year hospitalised because of an allergic reactions.

I myself am allergic to cows and cats but with cats it is only when they break the skin with thee claws. Not a big deal. Not sure what happens with cows don't get many of the 4 legged kind up here in Edinburgh.

So are you allergic to something that really impacts on your day to day life?

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Nothing that affects my daily life but I discovered I was allergic to Codeine the hard way. One day at work I fell off a roof and really hurt my arm. At hospital after the x-ray showed it was fine they gave me some pain killers and I was on my way.

Back at home I started feeling really unwell and my body started swelling and I found it hard to breath. A trip to a different hospital this time in an ambulance where i had the 20 questions of what had I taken that could have caused it. The only thing I had was the codeine so now I always have to be very careful when choosing pain killers.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I forgot to mention that a newly discovered allergy for me and potentially dangerous and this is an allergy to oral morphine that can close my throat which can be quite scary.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Hayfever and a mild allergy to cats (which is more related to the hayfever than it is to the cats really). Kind of just always had the hayfever since I was in my mid-teens. Eyes used to swell up, nose would run profusely, breathing was tight and overall not very pleasant. Tried antihistamines but they were of very little use so I ended up using a steroid nasal spray called "Flixonase" and holy crap but it was like heaven in a bottle!

4 sprays inhaled through the nostrils (2 per nostril) first thing in the morning and absolutely no effects throughout the day. Occasionally needed a booster during the day, but living in the country on my deer farm, it was needed! I think the name has been changed in the last few years, but it really is phenomenal stuff and I would recommend it to any hayfever sufferers. I don't need to use it very much at all these days, maybe only once or twice a month during the summer, but that's it.

The cat thing was highlighted to me when I was with my ex. Her house was *literally* (in the very correct use of the word) covered from floor to ceiling in cat hair. Everything was covered in it. The couch, the bed, the floor, the clothes, the tv, the bathroom, the kitchen counter. If it was in the house, it had cat hair. She wasn't the most attentive cleaner (or did any cleaning at all, I did it), so it had built up to obscene levels and it made it a nightmare to be there. Staying overnight, I had to get up at 4 in the morning just to go walk around the block to get some air into my lungs. Ever since, if I'm holding a cat or it nuzzles me a little, I get a bit of a sniffle, but nothing much more.

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Just bee stings

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'm allergic to idiots

8. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Only thing I've ever eaten and had an adverse reaction to is tiramisu...

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Must be old age lol you nutcase

10. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I'm not aware that I have any allergies. Maybe I was lucky - good eyes (so far), good teeth (so far). But I didn't escape the lower back plague, and after seven years of living with it I still don't know the cause of mine and if there's any potential to resolve it.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Cut grass and the dust that's thrown into the air while cutting it. Sets my asthma off a treat.

12. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

It doesn't cause any issues with my daily life, but I have an allergy to fish... not sure if it's all fish but I'm happy with just avoiding the consumption of them all to be safe.
    I only have a problem if I eat fish or if I cut my hand and then handle a fish. I'm fine wish handling a fish if I have no open wounds, so can quite happily go fishing.

It can make my monthly chip shop trip a bit irritating as I have to constantly ask if they've cooked anything in the same oil/batter as the fish.

13. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Certain skin products....I have very sensitive skin! :blush:

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Penicillin. I get a random red rash on my arms a few minutes after taking it and may vomit it back up. Mind you, this was years ago so I could be okay now (or could be worse). What cracks me up is that on health forms it's always the 'example' drug to be allergic to.

Apparently I'm also allergic to dust but I think most people will start coughing if they get an unexpected lungful! I've not had a problem with dust anyway.

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm allergic to grass (I get a rash if I lie down on it, such as elbows etc) and dust mites. Pollen also plays a role, as I get the typical atopic reaction in the spring to flowers etc, but not too severe. Some days I'll pop an antihistamine and be fine.

No drug allergies to my knowledge. I've seen some horrific ones though...

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Latex, penicillin, walnuts, one of the colourings in cheap white chocolate, hayfever.

None ever really get in the way bar hayfever, which is fine if I take a pill each morning, and then wear a Medic Alert bracelet for latex and penicillin.

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Animal hair / fur.

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Awww bless. You precious lot.

Now where's the cellotape? My bubble suit has a puncture.

19. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I think I am alergic to something highly specific in food, as once in a blue moon I get very ill for a couple of days and cant eat and drink, originally I expected it was jut a virus but as it keeps happening im not sure.

My only major allergy I know of is Adhesives (some not all) I can't use generic plasters and if i get the glue from duct tape, grip tape, tape for hockey sticks, tennis raquets etc on my skin it swells and itches like a beast for a couple of weeks.

20. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018