1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats a school allowed to do.....?

Discussion in 'General' started by seebul, 9 May 2006.

1. seebul

seebul Minimodder

Hi guys, wanted to know about what schools rights(?) are outside of school? Like if something has happened outside of school concerning two of its pupils and the school has found out about it, can they do anything?

None of the pupils have complained or anything, the school just found out somehow.

Cheers :thumb:

2. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

a fight you mean?

3. seebul

seebul Minimodder

no it wasn't a fight, its to do with some pictures of a girl that were sent around school and then put on myspace.

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

links and details would help.

They can kick you out if the parents disagree, else it is at their discretion

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I would say that It depends on what happened, and whether the people involved were easily identified as belonging to that school (ie wearing school uniform).

6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

At my school (a private one), they can kick you out for anything that "brings down the reputation of the school", be it outside and in privacy or not. For example, a couple of years ago, a girl got drunk at a party and started a cat fight, then passed out, she was expelled. I think they were just looking for an excuse there, though.
    Apparently, they can also do it if a parent does something which would damage the school's reputation, which doesn't seem right to me, but nothing like that has had to happen.
    I'm not sure what the rules are in your school, but chances are they can do what they want.

EDIT: I just remembered that a couple of people got threatened with expulsion for posting pictures of a teacher on an MSN space. They're still here though.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If its a public school, theoretically they can't take any actions due to events that took place off of school grounds. But I wouldn't count on that.

As you said the pics were sent around the school first though, I'd wager they'd be well within their rights to do whatever they want.

8. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

If it would have been a fight, then there are circumstances that would allow the school to expell the students. Technically, you're still under the school's supervision until the moment you walk through the front door of your house. If you're in a fight after school right off of school grounds or in a fight right after you get off of the school bus, then you can be punished by the school.

For this scenario, unless the pictures were taken at school or at a school event, theere's nothing major that can happen. However, if the pictures are inapproriate (ie nudity concerning a minor or something embarassing) then the person who took the picture can be punished for spreading the picture on school time and possibly prosecuted by the person who's picture was taken.

9. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

It varies from school to school. My entire district has a policy wherein the school can take disiplinary action against any actions involving students (whether it's at school or not). That includes the internets!1!!1!1!

10. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Ooooh, now I'm going to email your principal with my IRC logs as an attachment.

11. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Unfortunately that's no the case in the U.S. The school's authority extends far past it's physical property lines. For example if you're conducting activities that aren't illegal but against school policy (having sex for example) during school hours not on school grounds then you can be punished by the school. If you travel for a school trip then most of the time school policies extend throughout the whole trip regardless of when or where it takes place.

If pictures where posted on a website outside of school time and grounds but caused a large number of students to take interest in them during school hours and cause a fuss then the students who posted them could get in trouble under numerous blanket clauses included in school policies to account for every possible situation, for example "disrupting the educational process" is a common phrase.

12. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Here in Belgium, if it's a private school then they can kick you out without reason. But in reality, they won't kick you out if they don't have a 'decent' reason to. It really depends on the situation..

Best of luck.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Our school down in Kent used to punish students for bringing doen the schools reputation. Completely state funded that school, stuff like not wearing ties and blazers (i.e. incomplete uniform) making situations at bus stops etc...

14. seebul

seebul Minimodder

rite... cheers for all your comments.

15. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

same at my school, girl made nude pics for boyfriend, love was over, boy sended pics all around ppl made sites about her (like a p0rn site) pictures hanging in whole school, girl didn't come to school, it came in the newspaper. and as far as i know they didn't kick someone :D

well i don't know how your school is but they CAN kick you for this sort of things.

btw for having some pot they imediatly kick you :duh:

16. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Experience?

17. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

That happened last week at my school, although the guy didn't actually get caught, they acted on the word of other students. Which I don't really agree with, but there's not much you can do.

18. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

by pictures of a girl... what do you mean? nude pictures? (under 18?) - on the internet in particular... then yer sure they can do something about it...inform the police but they can't demand personally for them to be taken down (sure they could try but i very much doubt if they have any offical rights for that...)

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

TBH I think anyone that posts nude pics of an ex-girlfriend around a website frequented by school friends or around a school, deserves to get kicked out. It may not be against school rules, but schools should be able to kick little s****s out of there.

The person who does it has almost certainly ruined another persons education, so their own should be ruined too(and I know, people say "two wrongs don't make a right", but they're stupid).

20. ToiletGamer

ToiletGamer What's a Dremel?

I go to a crappy public school and me and about 15 of my mates in my year just randomly decided to video what we get upto out of school. Kinda stupid but hey we are stupid so we went ahead and for about 4+ years filming we filmed alot of stuff hours and hours of video of us breaking into factorys, blowing cans of aerosol/lighter fluid and other things up inside these factorys causing huge fireballs (which the poilice and fire brigade beefed us for countless time), pretending to have fights by like sending a mate into say...a taxi place and then 10 seconds later having someone run in afterwards shouting at him and then beating him up, annoying security guards, dancing through shops (once did it in a pizza place and a guy came out and smacked my mate on the head with a bloody cooking dish, looked funny as hell when we played it back after we came back out and ran over to the guy we had filming, jumping out of grit bins outside supermarkets as people walked by and a hell of alot of other stuff. Towards the end we were quite famous around my town, with both the youths and the police. Had a website that got a lotta hits and even started selling CD's with the videos on to peopel at our school.

BUUUT we got to big and we got nailed after the school decided to do something after they decided what we were doing was bringing the schools name down (even though it is the worst school in our town). They got the county police to launch an investigation, tracked our website which had all our videos etc on it and kept a steady eye on us whenever we were out around town with CCTV. We didnt know about this and we carried on like idiots before they finally decided to hit us and brought all of us in along with our parents and beefed us for everything we did, and that was ALOT. Police gave us a huge beefing and went on about how they would watch us for the rest of our lives yadayada.

Now sure what we did may be alot worse than what you may have done but just going to their school gives them a reason to take you down. Watch out, putting stuff on the internet gets you bummed in the end.

((( :naughty: We just do it in private now...)))

....Sorry about spelling and everything, typing quickly, in a rush gotta be somewhere.