1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other audio editing

Discussion in 'Software' started by secretreeve, 24 May 2012.

1. secretreeve

secretreeve Lead design and realisation manager

hi guys!

didnt really know which section to place this in.

my partner has always been a huge titanic fan and well theres 2 peices of music in the film that are never released on the sound tracks and they have "sound effects" in them.

im wondering if anyone can be so kind as to attempt to remove the sound effects from the files so that its just the music and musical vocals?

i know its alot to ask but it would be a perfect birthday present (accompanied by another present, im not a cheap skate lol) and you would be doing me a MASSIVE favour.

i've added links to the files. theres video and mp3 file formats so you can work with which ever is easiest for you if you can do it.

thanks in advance.

heres the files:

MP4 of the first
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/7tizve

FLV of the second
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tg8h27

MP3 of the first
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/160w3t

mp3 of the second
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/3ap0jc

thanks again guys!

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Not really got the time to attempt this myself, but I'd recommend having a play with Audacity, which allows you to identify specific transients & remove them without destroying the integrity of the audio overall. It's not perfect, and not quick, but it is quite easy to do.

3. secretreeve

secretreeve Lead design and realisation manager

okay, thanks landy_ed i will look into audacity then.

thanks again

edit: took a look at aduacity and have no idea how to use that or where to start lol

Last edited: 28 May 2012
  4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

i dont think its going to happen - at least, if you got rid of the sound effects, I dont think what you would be listening to would have much merit as a piece of recorded music, I think it would sound horrible!

If there is stuff in the center of the soundstage that is relatively easy to remove, but you are still left with a whole load of artifacts that remain due to this subtractive process, and it takes quite alot of post processing to bring it back to being something that sounds remotely faithful to the original.

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Imagine you have two piles of sand; one red, one blue.
    You take both piles of sand and put them into a bowl, then mix them around.
    The red sand is the music and the blue sand is the sound effects.

What you're hoping to do is about as difficult as separating the two colours of sand again by hand.
    It can be done, but it's messy, tedious and rarely gives good results.

As Margo says, if the sound effects were in the centre of the soundstage in the recording then you have some slight chance of removing them using something like Center Pan Remover in Audacity, but don't expect it to sound good.

If it were easy to do this kind of thing without also removing partials from the music (and thus negatively affecting how the music sounds) then companies like Sony woulndn't be paying researchers big money to devise algorithms to do it for games like Singstar and so on.

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Your analogy made me smile! But yes it really is that difficult.