1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Motherboard won't let computer boot w/ PCI cards

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Faulk_Wulf, 30 Jun 2009.

1. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

# System:
    * CPU - Intel Celeron Dual Core E1400 Processor BX80557E1400 - 2.0GHz, 512KB Cache, 800MHz FSB, Allendale, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan
    * Motherboard - Midwest Micro Asus P5GZ-MX Socket 775 ATX Motherboard
    * RAM - 2x Patriot Signature 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (CAS 4-5-4-11) 444Mhz (DDR888)
    * Graphics card - EVGA GeForce 7100 GS Video Card - 256MB DDR2, Supporting 512MB with Turbocache, PCI Express, SLI Ready, DVI, VGA, TV Out, Video Card
    * Power supply - Unbranded 350Watt Power Supply With Barebones Micro-ATX Tower
    * Operating system - Windows XP Pro Slipstreamed w/ Service Pack 2
    * Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM
    * Drives - Sabrent Internal 64-in-1 Multi Flash Media Card Reader - USB 2.0, Black, 3.5", Self Powered, SDHC Support, Vista Ready

# Problem:
    * When ever any PCI card is plugged into any PCI port or the graphics card is plugged into the PCI-E port, the computer will hang, reboot, or crash during the XP loading animation. It does not matter what card / port combination-- only when all PCI / PCI-E ports are clear does the system boot.

* With no cards in, the system runs fine. Never crashes, never throws an error, even when up for days and doing a bunch of stuff simultaneously. Formatting has not fixed it, though I never tried flashing the Bios.

Thoughts? :wallbash:

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

guessing that your mobo has on-board VGA.

when you put a graphics card in the PCI-E, boot into the bios and check which is displayed first.
    set it to PCI-e if poss.

or

try to disable the on-board graphics if you can.

3. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will try that soon.

It would actually explain a lot-- since the computer never had a problem with the card until AFTER i had to replace the CMOS battery.

I'll post again / edit this post once I have tried that. :thumb: