1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks WHAT is going on with my mobile broadband?!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Unicorn, 9 Jun 2014.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm posting this in desperation, hoping that someone can at least tell me what's going on even if there isn't a solution. I have an Ericsson H5321 WWAN card in my laptop, which is a ThinkPad X230. I have a 15GB/month Three SIM on contract and installed in the laptop. The coverage is brilliant almost everywhere I've used it since installation, but lately I've been having massive problems with a intermittent timeouts on the connection. Three can't help me because I'm not using one of their modems, and their only suggested solution is to go and buy a "supported" Three dongle or personal hotspot, which I'm not really willing to do having spent money on the WWAN card for the laptop to avoid the inconvenience of plugging in a dongle or carrying around and charging a personal hotspot when I need a connection.

The connection is ridiculously quick when it works, to the point where it puts our contracted ADSL broadband connection (I know, I know. Don't get me started :grr:) in school to shame, and I can even get as high as 1.9MB/s when downloading files, but http traffic has constant 60 second timeouts where the connection hangs trying to load a page, then the browser reports connection timeout after 30 seconds, you wait another 30 seconds, refresh the page and it loads. This happens intermittently. It doesn't happen at a particular time of day, it doesn't happen in only one particular place and worst of all, it always happens when I'm in a hurry :waah:

The APN for the Ericsson adapter keeps changing to the Lenovo default of cloud.macheen.info when I enable/disable the mobile connection, but even after I've changed the APN back to 3internet, the problem persists.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Short of ordering a personal hotspot at about £60, which may or may not solve the problem, I don't know what to do about this.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2014
  2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

At the rate this is affecting my productivity today, this SIM is getting pulled out and replaced as soon as I can get one from another provider. This has got to be provider related.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd suggest replacing the wwan card if under warranty. Perhaps have a poke around in the configuration? (WWAN Network Device>Properties>Configuration) There may be a setting in there that 3 doesn't like; it may be a bit of a game but if it's something as simple as a tickbox or a buffer amount..

Are you using connection management software? Does your laptop run software that chooses the best connection (WLAN, LAN, WWAN)? Or are you just plumbing the settings into Windows network setup? (Link).

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

This sounds like an issue I had a month or two ago at work, but this time it was my phone.

It resolved itself eventually, and once it had, my colleague with a newer phone discovered that he could now get 4G - I'm inclined to think that mine was related to engineering works going on to upgrade the nearby cells to 4G.