1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The Best Thing at GamesCom 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I never really heard much about the original. What are they like? Something like Dragon Age, Oblivion, or more like Tomb Raider?

Pictures look decent anyway :)

3. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Sweet! Really want this to be good, just have to wait and see.

P.S. Mmmmm, tits :naughty:

4. ramliz

ramliz What's a Dremel?

The witcher 1 is amazing made me love rpg's. A must buy for me eagerly waiting for this one.

5. CardJoe

More Dragon Agey, out of those three choice. Really stands on its own though, IMHO. Difficult game to love, but ultimately worth it in many ways.

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

She has huge jugs.

7. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

As the caption says...

Click to enlarge.

OMG I'm a geek!

TWeaK likes this.
  8. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

i agree with the above, those jugs are huge... what did the article say???

9. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

And here I was thinking 'I wish there was something witty written in the caption'!

+rep for you my friend

10. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

If I get started now I might just finish The Witcher before the new one comes out. :)

11. Lockinvar

Lockinvar What's a Dremel?

I tried to get into the original and couldn't - largely I think because the animation was terrible. It's superficial I know, but the jolting character movements and combat really destroyed the submersion for me.

12. m0ngy

m0ngy What's a Dremel?

Is The Witcher v1 worth playing now? It's 3 years old, and I've already completed Dragon Age + Awakenings. Has it dated a lot?

13. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

witcher imo kicks DAO's ass especially in the "maturity" aspect of both games. witcher touches upon racism, rape, abuse, sadism, violence... plus it has a very dark and often violent humor.
    DAO's "mature" content is mostly fountains of blood and gore, average fantasy plot but nothing special and apart from morrigan's character (which could easily might've been plucked straight out of Witcher's universe) it didnt shine for me like Witcher did 3 years ago.

14. CardJoe

That's a good way to express it actually; if Morrigan was one of your favourite characters from Dragon Age: Origins then it's likely you'd like The Witcher. You have to patch the game up though, to get the new adventures and translations.

15. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

great game the first one difficult choices to make the whole way through each impacting upon a later storyline

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I predict that this should have been 'predictions'?

17. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The thing with Morrigan is that she's a bit mean and sarcastic but underneath she's actually not such a bad person, once you get on her good side. In the Witcher it's more the other way around, lots of characters seem nice and end up being unpleasant, and even more just are unpleasant and seem unpleasant and turn out to be even worse. It's kind of a film noir style of fantasy story, with Gerelt as a sort of grubby Galahad trying to do what's right if not by letter of the law then at least his conscience. Both Dragon Age and Witcher are mature enough to force the player to make hard choices and have to deal with the consequences, I think that is a key factor because in many ways those decisions are the hardest parts of the game.

That said I didn't like The Witcher as much as Dragon Age. For all that is good about the Witcher it is a hell of a slow burner. I didn't see the light of day for about a week when I got my hands on Dragon Age, and I'm onto I think my third playthrough. The Witcher I've always run out of enthusiasm by about chapter three. This time though, I will succeed.

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

witcher is definitely one of those games you have to play.. the combat is different too (a bit easy once you get the hang of it)- at first you'll be like wth

there's a lot of things you can collect and the atmosphere is good, walking around town and passing a dwarf who says f it! fist fighting in the taverns for money.. graphically the game owned and has great videos.. plus there's no gay gang bangs like in dragon age

dragon age imo was more mouth than story.. think half the game was voice acting seriously

was able to play it full up 16q aa, nice engine

19. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but I find it kind of ridiculous that you would single out the ability to have same-sex relationships as a negative quality, especially considering how utterly insipid and objectifying The Witcher's depiction of most of its women is.

20. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

the Witcher started out as a Neverwinter Nights Mod back in the days :D so yeah it's obviously heavilly influenced on Bioware's own array of games!

Tags: Add Tags