1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: Grim Fandango

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Grim Fandango is indeed awesome - it is known. I never actually managed to complete it, though, as the puzzles just got too obscure for me towards the end, and I'm loathe to look up the answers on the Internet - plus I've lost all my saved games from 1999.

All is not lost when it comes to cool, creative games - Tim Schafer is still creating great stuff. Psychonauts was similarly one of the best games ever, and managed to combine the dark, quirky and likeable characters of Grim Fandango with quicker-paced gameplay and puzzles. IPlus, it had an awesome soundtrack. 'm really hoping that Brutal Legend will come out for the PC at some point, as I really don't want to have to buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 just to play it!

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm going to be seeing Brutal Legend soon hopefully (and interviewing Tim, wheee!), and I hope to get to the bottom of that then.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I have this somewhere about, but I could never get it to work properly on XP so gave up - and apparently the version of the game that was fixed to work with XP is rare as hens teeth. I think I got as far as getting in a lift, then the cd drive sounded like it was taking off.

5. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

As much as I've loved what I've played of this so far the puzzles are so unbelievably tricky that I doubt anyone has completed it without going to Gamefaqs or by owning some guide

6. CardJoe

kenco_uk likes this.
  7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'll have to give that launcher a try, I bought the game but could never get it to work properly.

The demo worked fine, but the game would only run a little bit further than where the demo left off.

Same with Sam & Max - I'd get so far then it would blue screen.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

As far as I remember the game works just fine in XP (32bit). All I installed was the patch.

Fabulous game. Perhaps the best LucasArts adventure ever, and that's saying something!

"Viva la revolucion, agent Calavera!"

9. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

Adventures were my favorite games. Dunno how I skipped Grim.. :\
    How could this genre have dissappeared so intensely? :\

Can't wait to see your interview with Tim!

10. CardJoe

:O

If you like the genre then you need to find yourself a copy of Grim Fandango somewhere and give it a shot!

11. Yardstick

Yardstick What's a Dremel?

Currently playing it through again on my Eee - bring back many great memories.

I love the artwork so much, I still have the original box on display in my study.

12. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

The artwork was among the most charming elements of older adventure games. Monkey Island 1 and 2 had so much space for imagination!
    The newer games, with high resolutions and more stylezed artwork kind of took away some of the charm.

The lack of space for imagination is one of the reasons why I believe modern games are so shallow and impact us so little. Take Crysis for example. It works so hard on giving you a ready-made world - visually speaking - that the player just goes through the story. In older games, it was the creation of a whole world! Warcraft 1 and Dune were good examples for me :)

Tags: Add Tags