1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Just Too Good To Be True

Discussion in 'General' started by zelox991, 26 Aug 2008.

1. zelox991

zelox991 Wanna-Be-Modder

This is crazy...I would be pissed if i was the kid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-toogoodtopitch&prov=ap&type=lgns

now...i can see the point of view of the league administrators.
    But i just don't ****ing understand why weren't the good players in CS be kicked out of the server when i played.
    Absolutely nonsense...

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Would it be so hard to just do the logical thing, and bump him up to play with the 10 or 11 year olds? :duh:

3. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Then the rest of his team would keep protesting

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Or just stick him in the outfield :p

5. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Oh just let the kid play! Why are "beginners" in a league anyway? What is the cut off point for pitching speeds? 40mph,39mph?

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I can see why parents are concerned about it, but it's still stupid to ban him for being better than the other kids :/

7. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

...... let him play with older skills. He won't learn anything by pitching against noobs. If he wants to get better, then move him into a better league. =\

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm surprised no-one has signed this prodegy up yet. :confused: American sports is losing its touch.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Little league gone too far? Perhaps so.

Do the kids have to wear safety equipment? If they do, then what's the problem? The kid obviously has the skills to control it, seenas he hasn't beaned anyone, so let him play tbh.

10. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

That has to be mentally hard and confusing for that kid. When smart kids are too smart for their grade, they just move them up, can't they do the same for little league? What a load of Bull***t

11. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Thats a bit crap... when it materialised that I was quite good at cricket, they just stuck me in the adult team and we got on with it - simple as that. The logic of these people worries me...

12. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The only way to get better at something is to face the challenge, so sure he may strike out every batter, but you can't improve if your being lobbed the ball as it's really not difficult to hit, but say your moved up to a higher rank / group of kids who all throw faster than what your used to, your going to strike out. When i was younger (played baseball from about 5 - 12) my older brothers and dad used to pitch overhand to me, and i was the top hitter on my team (was always last batter to bring all the runners home :D ) and I know for a fact i struck out a lot when they pitched to me when I first started, but after a few months of practice, I was able to crank their pitches, that previously i could barely touch. (my brother's are 2 and 4 years older than me) and they both played baseball also (one was a pitcher while he played and he as good). How are kids supposed to develop if they are not being challenged? I think what the league is trying to do is unfair because your limiting the child's growth, and not letting him practice and excel at what he is good at. I can see nothing negative about him being an excellent pitcher, and he has not hurt anyone, so i see no reason in justifying banning him from the sport.

13. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

I heard about this before, If the kid is so good why not just put him up a league?

14. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Today in the US everyone gets a trophy and we're all winners. It's just sad to see a future all-star stuck in adult politics.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2008
  15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm more shocked and surprised that you spelt "prodigy" wrong :eeek:

What kind of people would try and stop somebody doing something that they enjoy because they're "too good"? As others have said, if he's too good at the level he's currently playing at, put him at a level where he will be challenged - otherwise he'll never get any better.

I'm also disappointed by the reaction of the mother though - that her first thought is to sue the league. :wallbash:

At little less suing, a little more common sense, please.

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

you probably can't move him up a league because of age restrictions. (i'm guessing here, so i may be wrong) there's no point calling it an under 11 league or whatever if you start letting someone younger play. breaks the rules

massive shame for the kid. if he's that good he may get bought out by some scouts who have millions to spend on training youngsters. (didn't the yanks once buy a 12 year old football prodigy?)

17. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

"under 11 league"

Doesn't that sort of give it away? Anyone UNDER 11 can play....? No?

For example many under 20's play in under 21 teams if they are particularly good, this happens in soccer and rugby in England all the time...

18. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Just let him through the damn ball, if he has to throw it slower to be allowed to play so be it, who's speed trapping his balls anyway? Or is it numbers plucked from the sky....

19. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

exactly what i was thinking while i read it. it's madness.

20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I completely understand that people want him off the mount. If he's that good, he's ruining the game for everyone: boring to watch, discouraging for other kids, nothing to learn for himself, even the kids in his team must feel insignificant. And let's face it, at that level the game should be fun and exciting for everyone, the kids in first priority.
    Nobody wins by keeping him on the mount, except for parents that are just out for bragging rights.

On the other hand, the officials clearly mishandled it. They should have bumped him up, period. If that is for some dark reason impossible, they should have sought to resolve this through dialogue, not bans and punishments for the kid.

Tags: