1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Books based on games: Halo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. shokwaav

shokwaav What's a Dremel?

yes it does 'male' me to make a film.

fix typo pls :)

3. rmagro

rmagro What's a Dremel?

I loved all of the xbox games, so might try out reading some of these books :D

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You came to Portugal just to read Halo?! ZOMG! FAIL!

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

typo in the 3rd paragrapgh
    I read the novel that accompanied my copy of Planescape Torment, which was really enjoyable

Edit: already pointed out, that'll teach me to refresh before posting :lol:

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i was a huge fan of Halo books when playing Halo 1 on the PC, read all first 3 and loved number 1 and 3 by Eric Nylund. the back story was told in a brilliant way.

but Halo 2 on PC sucked really hard, thus made me lost interest in the franchise. and started uni, so didn't have so much free time reading novels.

7. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

+1 I've read them too and would <3 to see a "GOOD" Halo movie made.

8. BFT-001

BFT-001 You can do that?!

Reading up on the backstory really opened up on the Halo Universe. If you truly appreciate the series and not just for its multiplayer experience then I really hope you take the time to read the books. It will really immerse you into the Haloverse beyond the campaign of any Halo game so far.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Doom....I read the Doom Books. The first one (knee deep in the dead) was great, provided a kind of back story to the game and gave it a little more context. The rest of the books....not so great.

Off topic a little, but playing Dawn of War 2 made me want to read the Warhammer 40K books and I can very heartily recommend the Angels of Darkness novel. Great story, lovely twist and great insight into the background of the Space Marine Chapter.

10. interzen

interzen Real men use chainsaws.

Even though I'm not a fan of the games, I keep meaning to read the 'Halo' books but never quite seem to get around to it.

I did make a point of reading the two novels that tied in with "Dragon Age: Origins" though - not only did they fill in a lot of the back story to the game but were also mighty fine novels in their own right.

11. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

you know, there is one problem with abducting genitically superior human babies and replacing them with clones who die. This means that there will be no more genitically superior human babies for the next generation. So we are screwed.

12. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

The Halo books are good, except "The Flood" which covers Combat Evolved - it's a walkthrough interspersed with macho phrases. This could be a characteristic of being written by a different author to the rest.

All the others I really enjoyed though.

13. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

I bought all the Halo books, and loved them too (at this point I had only completed the third game, gotten halfway through the second, and never touched the story on the first). There's alot of back story that you just don't know is there till you read them.

Gears of War is another game that I've enjoyed the novel of. The first book is called Aspho Fields (you hear a brief mention of the battle in the first game), and it really fleshes out the backstory and characters, as well as covering events between the first and second game (the book ends right where GoW2 picks up). The second book, Jacinto's Remnant, has only recently been released, but I'm really struggling to find a store that has it (I actually only came across the first by accident).

14. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

By the way you make the books sound, they sound interesting. A shame if you stayed indoors when you were in Portugal for holidays, I guess it was summer holidays so you have lost some good days. You could have enjoyed the weather and at night read the book.

Nevertheless, I'm a bit happy to see BT staff comes around here every now and then. Could you left hardware crumbles (new and good) so I can pick up where you've passed by?!

15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

+1

Knee Deep in the Dead was a fantastic little read, who knew they could turn the plotless Doom into a genuinely good Sci-Fi read?

Plus, any books written by a pair of guys called Dafydd Ab Hugh and Brad Linaweaver HAVE to be good.

16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Been interested in getting the books myself, but never bothered to actually buy them. Anybody care to tell me which order they are in so i can go spend more money?

Sam

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike and not sure about the rest, i think 4th one is Ghost something.

The Flood isn't worth reading though. Fall of Reach is the best one IMHO (out of 3 i've read)

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I have all the books pictures minus the cole protocol (I couldn't get it at the time).

I love them mainly for the same reasons that the author loves them (sci fi, war etc).

On a Halo theme, I am currently reading through the Ringworld books. I am having trouble getting my head around the scale of the ringworld itself (1 million miles wide, with walls a 1000 miles high). I need to find ringworld engineers now.

19. proxymoron

proxymoron What's a Dremel?

The Alpha Centauri novels are well worth reading.

20. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Ghosts of Onyx- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_of_onyx

Tags: Add Tags