1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Plusnet Broadband Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 24 Jan 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

What router do Plusnet use? Apart from finding this Plusnet 2704n as being the router in questionI can find little else.

Is it worth or needed getting something better?

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

This one:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/plusnet-fibre-router-review

Truth be told it's alright, it's fairly basic but what do you expect for free / £5. If you've got the money to spend though there are much better options available (read the review above for more info).

I'm tight, so I'm using mine. ;)

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Any suggestions?

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

There's some recommendations at the end of the review linked above... I can't give you any personal experience as I'm using the Plus.net router.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

At the moment I have no BB at the moment, the cynic in me says Sky are playing silly buggers as I have asked for the MAC and a day later for the first time in about 8 years I lose connection. And seemingly there customer service department is down so will need to wait until tomorrow to get it sorted. Faffing about with phone tethering at the mo so will have a look at the review when I am reconnected.

6. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Thanks for the link. I really like the Asus 66U but its still over £120... I hoped it would have been cheaper by now :).

7. suragh

suragh Derp

I recently replaced my Plusnet technicolor TG582n for a TP LINK archer D7 because, I were fed up with how long it would take to adjust the settings through the web browser and the signal strength it provided throughout my home were poor.

I guess that's what you pay for, for using a cheap bog standard router.

Link to my replacement router.

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

The tg582n has a pretty complete CLI I've heard. Not tried for myself though. Heard there are a lot of features nestled away from that web GUI.

In fact, after some googling, it looks like I may be reusing the technicolour router (as a managed switch).

Last edited: 9 Feb 2015
  9. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I'm don't know how complete but I know it's pretty extensive

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Well, looking through the CLI it is a much more feature rich device than most routers available to consumers and you can pick them up for nothing, if you weren't given one already. Personally I'm going to be using one for two things. Guest SSID, and segregate some traffic for devices I have no intention of trusting on my network such as TVs, bluray players, av receivers. And deliver to my HTPC which doesn't need much throughput. Switch ports are only 100mbit... If they were gigabit, then phwoar.