1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD A10-6800K and A10-6700 (Richland) Reviews

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 5 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

wtb crossfire results with a 6670

3. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Very nice results for the 6800K. Although performance wise for general computing tasks arent the best, it does give us confidence that it has a well balanced system and lower costs if you want to do light casual gaming [minecraft, Left4Dead, Elder Scrolls, WoW] and internet related tasks. Ideal for cheap gaming rig for a younger person if they dont play demanding titles.
    Its stepping in the right way for GPU/CPU sandwich which saves on time money and space.

4. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

is it still a 6670 required for dual graphics or have they updated it to the 7XXX cards?

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Cool. I'd love to see total system power consumption for the dual core Richland. Are you going to be looking at it at all?

It is impressive that you can do some light gaming on these chips even if the res is down to what console gamers have been experiencing till now... i.e. 720p

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the only card it could go with would be an OEM only 76xx card

7. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Will you get much performance by adding a discrete GPU with crossfire?

Was hoping this would be a an all in one solution for HTPC/Steam PC build at 1080p. Looks like I have to wait for the FM2+ CPU's or go with intel CPU's.

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It would be nice to see a low end card in the graphs just as a reference.

9. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

BTW, why is the year on the CPU "2011"?

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the AMD apu solutions are better all round chips than than the intel ones (ofc unless you start adding a discrete card in there) - but even so - I would like to see som crossfire numbers with this apu and a 6670

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Why are they so poor in Cinebench?

Even my old 720 3 core Phenom 2 @3.8Ghz was faster.....

12. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Well thats a bit disappointing. No point in replacing my HTPC's A10 5800K with a 6800K.
    Not that the performance was ever going to be a big leap but I had heard the iGPU was 30%+ faster and selling the 5800k would have made it a reasonably priced easy upgrade..

The 5800K does fine for 80% of what I want it to do so no big deal.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

im interested in which version of handbrake BT still use - its been updated a lot over the years and the latest version AMD do very well in.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2013
  14. rollo

rollo Modder

Are we likely to see a onboard Gpu battle with intels 5200hd iris vs this 6800 chip would be a fun battle and let us see how its going in onboard land.

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Does anyone else think they should abandon their old benchmark suite??? And focus on some newer ones. Performing edits with GIMP???? Not really fussed. Photoshop, more relevant.

And parroting what Harlequin is saying: is it all running latest versions? I mean, I'm not going to download an old handbrake am I really?

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

have you seen the chip size for the iris pro ? its bigger than a gtx 680! honestly don't think we`ll see it in consumer anything.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Em anandtech has a review harle and its the chip going into the MacBook, so its def going to see a consumer launch.

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

19. CAT-THE-FIFTH

CAT-THE-FIFTH What's a Dremel?

Plus it is priced at $600+ and TR tested and it bumped power consumption of the CPU section(when idle) to desktop Core i7 4770K levels too,which is quite high for a desktop chip:

http://techreport.com/review/24879/intel-core-i7-4770k-and-4950hq-haswell-processors-reviewed

It is also a soldered on CPU too. There is also the Core i7 4770R which is also soldered on and looks to be very expensive.

Considering,the price disparity alone,it is a pointless test. Nvidia will sell you a GTX650 for around £100,but would they sell a GTX780 for that price...NO! They were made to hit those price points.

You might as well take the PS4 SOC and test it against it,and the former is still likely to cost less,ie,the whole system.

The CPUs the A10 should be compared to should be similar in price or at most slightly more expensive,so that means Core i3 CPUs and possible a very low end Core i5.

AMD has made them to hit that price point,and there are design considerations so they can hit that price.

The GT3e die is 350MM2 in size including 84MM2 of L4 cache,and the latter is produced on a more expensive low power version of the Intel 22NM process. The GT3 GPU section is estimated by Anandtech at 165MM2,which is larger than the GPU found in either the 28NM GTX650 or HD7700(around 120MM2) and this is on a 22NM process. Hence the GT3 is a massive GPU for an IGP in terms of transistors too,especially including the L4 cache,and probably costs a lot to make.

We also do not know how good the yields for the eDRAM are or even for the massive IGP section.

If you look at production IB Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs,the IGP actually increased in sized over prototypes:

http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2012_04_19_Ivy_Bridges_GPU_2-25_times_Sandys.html

It seems to improve yields they started fusing off parts for the HD4000.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2013
  20. rollo

rollo Modder

Wow at the AMD defend, the fact Intel a CPU company has made a Gpu that beats AMDs onboard stuff is crazy. Does not make alot of dif about its size we can't buy it its bga only, power consumption is less than the CPU + Gpu combo that's in the current MacBook Pro despite offering better performance if those graphs are accurate.

Never said it was an every day chip but looking at what apple and asus could do with it for ultra thin laptops is much more fun. Haswell equipped MacBook Pro retina with the battery life to boot to actually maybe game on the go.

Intel are probably making it in spare fabspace and selling them to Apple / Asus who have pushed this to begin with.

When I saw the benches on anandtech I thought it was a mistake but the other bench kinda confirmed it. AMDs 6800k has also struggled to improve on its 5800k igpu performance rumours of a 30% boost have been very wrong.

Tags: Add Tags