1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My (pending delivery) new (old) 4P system

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by debs3759, 31 Jan 2013.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I just bought a quad socket 1207 (socket F) motherboard (about £75 shipped from the US) and 4 OS8423WJS6DGN 2.0GHz, Six-Core Opteron with Istanbul core (enginering samples of an unreleased chip). Might take a while to receive everything and put the system together, but I'm hoping it'll be good enough for bigadv folding (24 cores @ 2.0 GHz, not sure if it'll be possible to overclock with an old HP motherboard)

Not building just f or folding, it will also be used to test a few 8-way processors for resale, and for benchmarking the same.

Has anyone had experience of folding with a similar setup (same generation or socket)?

2. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

Hi debs

i built THIS with 4 os8354wal4bgh quad opteron 2.2ghz Barcelona core, they managed the P690* WU's for QRB but not the P8101 :(

i doubt you will be able to OC too
    so im not sure if you will scrape through... only one way to find out tho :)

3. Ben Lamb

Ben Lamb What's a Dremel?

Very interested in this project, try and get some pics up if pos. Kirk - do you think the Arima motherboard would work with these 8 series hex core cpus ?

4. debs3759

My build is going to have to usee quad 8354, as a little more research tells me the HP board I bought only supports up to 3rd gen. Just means I need to search some more to find a board that supports 6-core opterons :) Hopefully it will be useful for folding, as I plan to try it with some bigadv folding.

Gotta save some more if I'm gonna be ready for a dual Ivy Bridge-Ep build whenever they are ready. Might have to hold off til the next gen chips for an Intel server build :)

I will post when I have all the bits. It won't be pretty, the motherboard won't be in a case, but it will be functional :D

5. Ben Lamb

It will be an interesting project no matter what - I built one on a dual cpu motherboard a couple of years ago and it was fun. The cpus were very stable and worked well, hoping to put a quad opteron together myself as the chips are so cheap at the moment. Dont have the funds to build a quad cpu sandy bridge ep so will tinker with opterons instead !

6. kirk46

Ben,

No only the 4 core cpus I'm afraid.

Debs,

I still have the 4 8354 cpus if you haven't already bought them :)

I was looking at pricing up a simliar setup and I did find a board that took the hex core cpus, it was £109 uk seller to but recently sold out :(

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

7. debs3759

I bought the 4 x 8354 for $6 each on cpu-world.com :) Thanks for the offer anyway, much appreciated.

8. kirk46

Wow that is cheap! Lol

I didn't no they sold them thought it was just info lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

9. Ben Lamb

Can you remember the make and model of the board Kirk so I can keep an eye out for one.

10. kirk46

there on ebay bud... have you read thought the thread i linked to??

they are very fussy boards

HERE

11. Ben Lamb

Sorry Kirk I was on about the board you saw that would accept hex core cpus. I have read the Arima thread, it is excellent very informative.

12. debs3759

I saw the same sale with the board that accepts hexacore processors, but the money to buy came too late :( No problem, I can deal with quad 4-core while I wait for another :)

13. kirk46

it was THESE mate

14. Ben Lamb

Damn they were a good deal - wish I had spotted them earlier !

15. Ben Lamb

Any updates on the project ? Working on something similar but don't have all the parts yet.

16. debs3759

I received the motherboard, but it turms out that it need a proprietary HP PSU, and the only suitable PSUs I have found come without cables. Looks like the project has hit a dead endfor now.

I might end up buying a complete rack unit based on the same system (Power Edge 6950), then copy the cabling so I can get the original up and running as well. There is a seller on eBay with several PowerEdge 6950 systems complete apart from drives. Gotta see if I get the credit card I applied for before I can be sure if it's an option :)

17. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Oh dear! Someone has the bug bad. :D

18. debs3759

LOL, I'm just an addict with a new habit :)

19. Ben Lamb

It is funny how these projects quickly get out of hand, I have an Arima board same as Kirks and a load of cpus plus a tyan thunder on its way from the USA that can take hex cores hopefuly. Whether or not the projects ever come together is another matter as I have so much to do, I have had to ban myself from ebay, as things were getting silly and room is running out in the house !

20. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

+1 (except for the motherboards, mine's a pile of K9A2s)