1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m0o0oeh, 10 Nov 2014.

1. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

TL;DR : Help? Which upgrade item is going to give me the most noticeable improvement in my pc?

Budget:
    Something in the region of £150 - 200

Main uses of intended build:
    Gaming/recording music and video.

Parts required:
    Ideally looking for advice about a new processor, RAM, and monitor

Previous build information (list details of parts):
    MSI A55M E33 FM2 motherboard, AMD Athlon X4 740, 8gb DDR3 1600MHz, Radeon HD7790, 1tb WD Green.

Monitor resolution:
    No-name 15" monitor @ 800x600, with a max of 1024x768 (my HDTV is now in the lounge, so I rescued it from my brothers room.)

Storage requirements:
    Current drive is ok, but considering other options for future.

will you be overclocking: No

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    Recycling current motherboard

Extra information about desired system:
    Recycling motherboard, 7790, and storage, case etc.

For some reason, Windows only recognises 4 of the 8gb RAM. So I figured on replacing both sticks to give it a bit more grunt. The rig is a little over a year old, and I feel it's slowing down, and it needs a kick up the ass. I realise that my budget is tight, and as the computer works just fine for now, the processor can wait a bit maybe until I've saved up a bit more. I'm desperate for a new monitor bigger than 15", and I do think more RAM will be of more benefit than the processor. I'm mainly interested in peoples opinions on whether to go APU or stay with a standard CPU. Also, if anyone has any recommendations for gear to look at in the Christmas sales, that'd be great.

2. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

Hi a ssd will give a new lease of life to it

Also what version of windows do you use you need a x64 to reconize the full 8gb

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

+1 on the above.

If it were me, I'd go for something like this and this.

Definitely make sure you are running a 64-bit copy of Windows too, might be a good time to reinstall from scratch directly on to the SSD.

4. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Running Win 7 (iirc its x64. Ultimate/Home Premium, I can never remember.) An SSD would help a great deal...

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

New monitor without a doubt.

Whilst the computer may be slow in the occasional game, you're always having to look at a crappy monitor what ever you're doing (i.e. surfing the web).

You could get a pretty decent monitor for £150 to £200, it will be the best upgrade you've done for ages! :)

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Upgrading the CPU would either be only a small upgrade or bust the budget severely.
    As for the Ram, don't worry about it, its still close enough to the top end.

I'd agree with the suggestion of a new monitor, a 24" with an IPS panel from a decent brand can be had for under £150 these days, that way you can stop using that medieval eye torture device.

http://www.ebuyer.com/616175-lg-24mb35pm-24-led-ips-dvi-monitor-24mb35pm

Then throw in a ssd:

http://www.ebuyer.com/655772-plextor-128gb-m6s-series-2-5inch-ssd-px-128m6s

Would be like night and day.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2014