1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft: No Far Cry 2 demo planned

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

What's the obsession with demos anyway?

Seriously, I never understood the desire to play a cut down version of a game, that lacks a lot of things that're pretty essential to the game.

FC2 would be especially difficult, given the nature of the game, surely?

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

release a demo so i can know whether my computer can run it.

after all, that's a very demanding game, seems just as demanding as Crysis, so my computer may not be able to play it.

4. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Screw the demo, I just want the game!

I'm gaggin' for it - at least I'll have Clear Sky next month.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The desire to 'try before you buy'. Who wants to drop £30-40 on a game that you can't return (as 99% of retailers won't let you return PC games now) if you play it for five minutes then go, "This sucks, I want my money back"? And as much as I can understand the desire to 'try before you buy'... the lack of a demo for a game is not a legitimate excuse to torrent the thing to 'try'. Because for every individual that is (relatively) honest and tries it via torrent before buying it... there will be a hundred that won't. :(

It can't be that hard to box in an area, surely... if nothing else so people can get an idea how it runs... maybe then have one or two 'quests' in that area that can be carried out in that area.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2008
  6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

hangon how many rubbish games have been released recently a demo would have probeably saved me £120 quid last year

7. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Would be nice if a game developer could produce a "test" app that would effectively run scenarios, much like FutureMark, and test your machine for their game.

The test would have to include the same number polygons, same extent of physics, same level of textures, same use of sounds, etc -- whatever the game could throw at the machine, the same would need to "occur" in the test. That way, you'd have a decent idea of if you machine could handle the game.

That is, if companies don't supply demos..

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this game will be pirated to hell and back..... and it will work better than the original one...

9. Major

Major Guest

Normally a demo ruins a game, as your playing it already (and when you buy the game, it won't seem that amazing).

Playing a demo for BF2142 for example is needed though as it's online.

10. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

I agree whole heartedly, there is a thing called a "game review". With so many sites reviewing games one can get a good general concencus about a game's worth just before or just after its release before you part with your cash. Torrenting a game is like torrenting a movie. You're not suddenly going to go out to the cinema and pay to watch it again.

I'll say I'm glad there isn't a demo. Ubisoft can spend more time polishing the finished product instead of farting about with a demo derived from a Beta build. And to be honest I haven't played a demo of a game for over 4 years. Most demos are pale comparissons of the finished product, or just plain broken in some way (re: Colin McRae 5 demo). They're kinda like reading 10 random pages of book to form a judgement of the whole novel. Though demo's like Spore's creature creator are a bit different. A "test app" would have been nice, I can live without one and will wait for the reviews to give the low down on system benchmarks.

11. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

r4tch3t and myself know a thing or two about that.
    I don't get why people a knocking demos. they've always worked for me for showing if I would be interested in a game (worked for FEAR).

12. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

What's wrong with Demos?

They're fun to play... I'll download a demo just for the craic... for something new to play. I don't have to be thinking about buying a game before I download the demo. Just because not all the content is there doesn't mean it's not as fun to play.. pretty much all of the core gameplay elements are still there.

I got the UEFA 2008 Demo from XBL ages ago.. I still play it every now and then, because it's fun.. I'm not going to buy the game though.. I'm waiting for FIFA 09.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

QFT. With the awful state of the 2nd hand games market as well, it's nigh-on impossible to sell it if you want rid of it too. I'll never forget taking a copy of Stranglehold into Gamestation on release day and being offered £3.50 for it...

Either way this game looks awesome, I hope it won't be long before release. September sometime?

14. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I took an unopened (still sealed) copy of Donkey Konga into Gamestation once.. not too long after its release... and got offered 50p.

It's still sitting in my bedroom, never been used.

15. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Oh shi... Are you the guys setting those cars on fire in chch? Should I be calling the police? Lol

16. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

I do read reviews, but everyone has a different opion on a game, and a review is nothing like playing the game for yourself.
    I do enjoy trying a demo out before I buy the game or not. As for piracy - Steam

17. Burnin'

Burnin' FPS gamer

Demos somehow avoid piracy....

Say that you've heard about a sweet new game like this one. You Google it and then you find a some sites with the demo on it and other sites with torrent versions of the same game... You'll have to decide whether you want to buy the game or just get the torrent version. Any smart person would like to test the game before spending £30-40 on it... I mean wouldn't you guys will like to test drive a new car before buying it? liratheal? Jack_Pepsi?

On the other hand, no demo will just leave us the torrent option before buying the game... And if you already have the torrent version then why bother with the retail???

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Car analogy might be a bad one for me - 99.9% of vehicles create a murderous rage, thanks to a pathological hatred of driving.

I can see WHY people want demos, but I was under the impression that taking time away from the game to set an area up for a demo would be detrimental to the release date of the game, unless you've got a small army working in droves for you. I'd rather see the finished game on the shelf sooner, and then a demo after the launch, so I know the game hasn't been sidelined for a 10-20 minute trial until it's gone gold.

Tags: Add Tags