1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards 5.1/7.1 on ASRock A75M-HVS and ASUS F1A75M LE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noizdaemon666, 25 Jun 2012.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of putting together a build for a guy in the shop where I work and I've hit a snag.

I have an option of two boards: ASRock A75M-HVS or ASUS F1A75M LE. they both claim to do 5.1 (7.1 in the case of the ASUS) audio but I don't understand how. Normally I wouldn't care, but this guy has asked specifically how it works given they both have only 3 jacks at the back. They are, according to the manuals, microphone, speaker and line in. There's no mention of these switching if it detects a different type of jack.

So, how does 5.1/7.1 work in this case?

Cheers guys :thumb:

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Likely answer is that windows detects something being plugged into the jack and then will ask you to select what has been plugged in (ie:rear speakers or Mic). At least thats how it usually works.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I thought that but nothing I read suggested it would do that so I was a bit unsure.

4. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

The Asrock has HDMI so should use that for audio, and/or port assignment for audio signals, 3 x 2 channels is just enough for 5.1. The Asus may need the front panel audio connector to be used to get to the full eight channels.

HTH

dunx

P.S. Have a "spare" ROG SupremeFX X-Fi ( PCI-E x1 ) you could offer him.... for a small fee :lol: