1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling 680i Advice for PROJECT: Loch Ness Monster! Pictures Inside! Now Closed Loop!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 26 Feb 2012.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I aim to water cool my 680i Motherboard (except the Southbridge) and E8500 Processor in a Coolermaster 690 II Advanced case. All the bits are gradually coming together; they've been sourced from the marketplace and also on-line shopping. Here's a list of the various water cooling bits I've bought so far (or almost bought!)...

- OCZ Hydrowflow Waterblock 775
    - MIPS MCH028 680i Northbridge Freezer
    - MIPS MCH146 nVidia 680i Reference Mosfet 1
    - MIPS MCH147 nVidia 680i Reference Mosfet 2

- Hardware Labs BIX 240 RAD
    - Slim 240 RAD

- x2 Enermax T.B.Silence Fans
    - x2 Phobya Nano 2G

The Slim 240 RAD will be housed in the roof of the 690 II case coupled with the Enermax fans. Whereas the thicker Hardware Labs BIX 240 RAD will be placed in the bottom of the 690 II case with the Nano 2G fans. Now the plan is to buy an XSPC 750 combined reservoir and pump and the flow will be as follows...

XSPC 750 -> Slim 240 RAD in roof -> MCH147 -> MCH146 -> OCZ Hydrowflow -> MCH028 -> BIX 240 RAD

Lots of small sections of hose which is why it'll be known as the Loch Ness Monster! :D

It really is just having a little play with water cooling to see if I can do it. Criticism and advice more than appreciated.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2014
  2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

You could get away with one rad on that set up, it's slight over kill the way you're doing it, but Hey this is modding, go for it... You could always include the GPU later on as you'll have plenty of cooling potential.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I know, it's just for a bit of fun at the moment! :D

I could use some advice on connections and hose material. I'm looking to go red on the hose material with barb fittings which looks easier to use than compression fittings to my eyes. So I'll need Black Barbs for the BIX 240 RAD and Slim 240 RAD. Also Barbs for the XSPC 750 and then I'd be looking at Brass Barbs for the MIPS water blocks. Probably be going Chrome for the Hydroflow.

I'll need to take measurements for the exact type of Barb I need for each but where's a good source for that gear?

4. bulldogjeff

All the thread sizes will be the same, so thats easy. Next is what size tubing you want to use. I like 3/8 but a lot of people like 1/2 inch. One thing I will say is when it comes to taking things apart you can't beat compression fittings. If you want to use barbs all round 3/8 tubing on 1/2 barbs works extremely well and looks good because it's so tight that there's no need for hose clamps. If you like red tubing theres loads to choose from. I used the masterklear stuff in my last build and I know a lot of people like it as well.

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I use 1/2", but keep in mind that it is not very easy to move about, whereas you will find 3/8 much more flexible and easy to play with.

EDIT: Another thing with 1/2" is that fittings are obviously wider (especially bitspower) so you need to check what your fitting them too to make sure they will fit ok.

Also, really think about how you are going to draing the loop. Make sure you plan that into it, perhaps using a ball valve for example. You will 100% have to drain it more than once, so doing it right from the start is well worthwhile.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So something like an 'off' valve attached to the XSPC 750 inlet then a detachment piece so that the pump can drain the loop. Would that be a fair plan? Also this hose look about right...

http://www.candccentral.co.uk/3-8-i...tubing-uv-dark-red-3.3-metre-retail-pack.html

7. bulldogjeff

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I've had a little think about this and thought perhaps I could get an Adapter for the XSPC 750 fill cap so it'll allow me to connect an angled compression fitting complete with hose when it comes time to drain the system. Then I simply need to up end the case and out flows the water! It's not a particularly heavy system so it's no problem to do this.

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

this is a pretty good southbridge cooler for the 680i.. better than that little thing that comes on the LT version of the board

http://www.svc.com/vc-re.html

11. bulldogjeff

Thats just asking for trouble. Any thing wet has a nasty habit of going everywhere but where you want it. It would be better to just pull off the lowest hose and then cap off the other open end.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I already have that installed, thanks for the tip all the same! :thumb:

I'm going for a valve on the bottom like in the video I posted above.

Where to get one and also that lovely syringe big enough to attach a hose on the end.

13. bulldogjeff

Where he plugged the open end with tissue in the video, I find the best thing is the dust/ protector caps new rads come with. They fit perfectly.

Blogins likes this.
  14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Handy tip but my RADS are second hand and lack the caps.

Where on earth do I find a decent quality nice looking ball valve suitable for a water loop?

15. bulldogjeff

Specialtech, aquatuning or any of the main water cooling suppliers will sell them, you might even get one on the cheap from the market place on here. As for the caps let me know if you want a couple, I got a few kicking about.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's damned fine of you sir!

Let me send you some pre-paid envelopes in return. I'll include one SAE for the caps! :thumb:

17. bulldogjeff

No probs, PM sent back :thumb:

18. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

You can get a fairly thick rad in the roof of the 690II, standard 25mm fans will happily fit under the hood of the roof.

I'm no expert myself, but when I used 1/2 inch od tubing, I found it really hard to make short loops, so maybe a thinner tubing would be better suited like bdigital said.

The xspc750's are great little units. I found them brilliant as a noob to watercooling. Also, they're a really good match to the 690, which lack the real estate for a pump and res.

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I have really really fat 240 RADS that don't fit thus the need for a slimmer RAD. Also the planned mosfet 2 loop wouldn't fit if it was installed beneath the roof. It's your fault I'm giving this a go anyway! You and your damned water cooled 690 II case! :D

Just needs me an XSPC 750 now but everywhere is sold out!

20. kaiter

kaiter What's a Dremel?

I like 3/8 but a lot of people like 1/2 inch. One thing I will say is when it comes to taking things apart you can't beat compression fittings.