1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Filthy Computers

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGreatSatan, 3 Sep 2012.

1. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I know you've seen them, so what do you have?

[​IMG]

2. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

yuck........

3. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Looks like someone needs to sweep/dust. :D

MMMUUUUMMMMM wish i had pictures but it looks like the one I cleaned out the other day. The CPU cooler was so packed I had to get the vacuum out along with the PS being packed and along with the intake and output vents being blocked it filled half a bag-less vacuum canister.

4. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Here you go, enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The after shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to love dust and filth caused by uncleanliness & smoking. Had a lovely tint & stickiness that can only be caused by either being exposed to lots of grease, or cigarette smoke.

I charged this person $25 on top of the repairs it needed.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Recently I cleaned out a PC in an office on a hospital ward that kept slowing down and howling like a jet turbine (everybody wondered why). When I opened the Elonex desktop machine I swear you could pull a 10mm layer of dust off the mobo in one solid layer like a carpet. Then I fished out huge wads from the heat sink, the air grilles and around the PSU. After that is was purring like a kitten again.

The mission critical systems for prescribing are all mobile units that are luckily much better maintained, but office drones in corner offices tend to get overlooked...

6. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

How the hell did you get the computer i just worked on? This majic and trickery has got to stop!

7. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

Well for medical use i'd prefer hermetic passive solutions. Pc cases is ideal storage for bacterial and fungal spores etc. And found one of those near criticaly ill patient isn't best thing in critical care...

send from my BLADE via tapatalk

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I'm rather embarrassed to admit this is my PC which I have never cleaned the internals in probably a year, there have been no side panels on the whole time.

But I just got my new case today so a wipe down with a feather duster was in order, I even got the Mr Sheen out and polished the motherboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Sep 2012
  9. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

The worst I've, personally, seen is from the farm owned by the company I work for. The pics above are sparkly and shiny by comparison. It took me nearly two hours to clean it properly.

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ive posted these before but:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last one doesnt do justice to the level of grossness! a mix of cat hair, dust and cigarette smoke! Not only did it look disgusting but the smell was horrific!

11. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

From my friend's sister's PC a couple of months ago:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's my GTX 285 in there too...

12. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

My mate Paul used to keep Chinchillas in his PC room - and after some time complained that his PC was constantly overheating.

I wish I'd taken pictures - because now I'm in the position where without them, it never happened.

13. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

PUBES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

14. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

This has now given me a reason to move my tower out from the side of my desk and clean it, even if it has filters.

15. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I don't know about you lot but I love being given machines like this to sort out. Cleaning manky PC's is massively therapeutic for me :) Almost as much as polishing swords (actual swords, not the other thing! Get your minds out of the gutter :p)

I must remember to take pictures in future.

Landy_Ed likes this.
  16. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I helped my school clean the servers before the summer holidays. The rack mount cases are surprisingly good, catching most if not all the dust that would otherwise be coating the components. The one thing that is horrible about the server room is the neglected air conditioning unit - the filters have not been replaced for many years, and were only cleaned at the beginning of the school year. I could feel my lungs dying when I lifted up one of the keyboards - massive amounts of dust, crumbs (I hope) and unidentified black stuff.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Our rabbit is in a heavy moult right now, I don't dare pull the panel until its over. It was clean 6 weeks ago, so I'll cry next week

18. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

First time I took my xbox apart to fix a RROD... wasn't so much an overheating issue... but an over fur issue it was at floor level for over a year and my cat liked to curl up next to it...

Pulled something out that made me sure that He had had a kitten in there....

19. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Lol, well those were from a few years ago, so it could have been one in the same! :p

Believe it or not, that rear exhaust fan still spun with all that gunk and dust on it.

20. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

I have this one HDD in my server that is REALLY filthy :worried:

I try to keep my filters clean, but unfortunately my SuperMicro storage server case does not have the possibility to mount filters, so I do have to shut it down sometime in the not to distant future and clean all the HDD slots and so on, it seems like most of the tumbleweeds get stuck on/around the HDDs as the insides are actually not bad for running 24/7 for a looong time.:thumb:

Tags: