1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling I'm baaaaaaack :D Possible rebuild

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 3 Jun 2013.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hello boy and girls

After a long time away, I have returned, with more thoughts on watercooling ideas. I'm thinking of moving to a small case, but at the same time keeping everything I have if possible. So it'll be M-ATX rather than ITX. I have a 'slim' 120mm and 240mm rads, so cooling isn't an issue.

So, thoughts and ideas for cases? I also have access to several friends with CNC's, 3D printers and laser cutters, and being fairly good at CAD, I may in fact make my own case but add some robotic feature (no idea what yet, thoughts?)

:worried:

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

hows uni :D

make your own case? hmmm maybe start with a mod on a stock one?

3. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Silverstone PS07 or TJ08 would be good options. Sensibly priced, quality build and I'm sure there is room to mod with a bit of imagination :thumb:

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

FT03!

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Doing well not my mental health is repairing :) Final year soon!!!

I've found starting from scratch is often way easier than modding existing stuff TBH. I'd probably use an existing motherboard mount and back plate though :p

TJ08 was my thoughts too, I'd not feel comfortable modding it though, the finish it too good :p Plus fitting my PSU, drives and watercooling in there wouldn't work...

I do love this case, but its a little too understated for my tastes :p Would my PSU fit?

6. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

The tj08 isn't the greatest for watercooling from the off (from what I have planned anyway) and would need a bit of modding to get it prepared, but in theory you can get 2x120 rads and a 180 rad with a res and pump mounted somewhere. What about the new corsair case ( obsidian 350d) it is quite a large m-atx case but has plenty of watercooling room!

On an unrelated note how do you deal with your pc at uni? In terms of getting it there and back and security?

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I have an AX750 in my FT03 with the red cabling kit, so yes, a full size PSU will definitely fit. There's also some lovely examples of FT03s with a window in the side, and a custom watercooling setup, and they look awesome.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Thought I'd comment here.

You just put it in the car to take it there and back, and then security is no different from home? :p

9. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Can you add 2 long air tubes to your case? The tubes can go to 2 vent holes on the outside of your house.

I made a decision last week to remove the liquid cooling from my 680 and go back to air. I considered whether I should do the same for CPU but I don't want to lose my 4.9ghz OC. I loved the temps with the 680 on liquid but it was so inconvenient if I needed to take the GPU out for any reason.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'll have a look at the 350D :)

I'm in a shared house, so I got my dad to pop me on his home insurance :) As for the machine, not easily :p I just empty my res and then hope for the best. This is why I want a smaller build. My house mates are good, so we don't have randomers over, so I don't really worry about them trying to steal it, my house mates laptops and Mac Books are much more appealing, so they have more to loose :p

Ooooh! I'll take a look then :) I could probably fab a unit to sit on the top for the watercooling bits too :)

Well, there is if it weighs about 30kg and is HUGE :p But, that aside the real issues I've heard from friends and friends of friends are either derpy house mates leaving doors or windows open or having dodgy randomers over at parties...

I'm not sure what the fire point would achieve. My house is made from solid stone (its a old farm house), so its usually cooler inside than out, plus then you'd get even more dust/bugs/nastiness in it.

I just enjoy the silence and knowing everything will have a nice long life even at heavy overclocks. Plus it stops the urge to buy new bits, and looks amazing :p The look on peoples faces when they see my res gurgling and glowing never ever gets old :D

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Transported my 800D watercooled to and from uni many times, wasn't as nice as my current build but it wasn't the end of the world :p

Same principle, put it in the car, drive to uni, take out, put in room.
    Simple :p

A PC isn't something you can quickly steal really, so I wouldn't worry about it anymore than I would with it at home.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its more people damaging it or messing with it really.

13. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I just don't want people to go "hmm what happens if I undo this compression fitting" lol, curious as I am going to uni next year and convincing my parents to let me take the Pcs and monitor is easir sais than done! But back to the thread both the obsidian 350d and fractal arc mini are large mini towers with room for 2x240 radiators and all the components that go with.

14. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

How about a nice Parvum case. I have seen some nice watercooling rigs in them

15. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Only issue with the 350D would be the thickness of rads, especially top where you only have about 55mm to squeeze in rad and fans. I was looking at an all in one for my 350D and wanted a Thermaltake CLW0217 but due to the 38mm rad I'd need skinny fans to fit with mobo. Also if you put rad at front then you need to remove HDD cage and SSD cage to make it fit.

Other than that it has a nice finish but I'm not sure about its WC potential without significant modding/sacrifices. Not that I'm any kind of WCing guru just what I picked up from reading reviews when I purchased mine. ;)

16. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Alright dude!, Hows things?

Would also agree with the FT03

Antec p180 maybe? Bit dated now I think features wise if I remember rightly, but lovely looking case, or Fractal Mini?

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You could go for a Lian Li PC-A05. It's an m-atx sized chassis that will take full size atx mobos, so there'll be plenty of room with just a m5g in there. It would need some modding, but I'm sure I've seen a full watercooled build in one recently. Can't seem to find it now though.

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This looks like is may have answered my problems :p

Edit: Although saying that I notice its steel, and due the width I don't think it'd fit on my desk, so maybe not...

19. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

I like that, reminds me of the old neXt PC case

20. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I too am planning to watercool my FT03. Going with an external 200mm rad on the top rather than internal to avoid having to a) buy a Dremel and b) destroy the case with said Dremel because of my uselessness with power tools! :D

Also, it will fit standard PSUs, not sure about those beefy 1kw+ units though. Modular (particularly full modular) really helps and is actually recommended in the manual, as are blower-type graphics cards.