1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling I'm almost ready for my first H2O Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scuppy, 10 Jun 2013.

1. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

Okay.... So after having read various websites and reviews I have come to the conclusion that I would like to get the following. However this is the first time I will have touched water inside a PC and should you see anything that won't work or I should consider changing please do let me know before I find out the hard way :p

• Pump & Res: XSPC D5 Dual Bay Res/Pump Combo
    • CPU Waterblock: Koolance CPU-380 (Intel)
    • CPU Backplate: Included ^^
    • GPU Waterblock: EK-FC7970 CSQ (Copper and Plexi)
    • GPU Backplate: EK-FC7970 Backplate CSQ (Black)
    • Fittings: Monsoon 19/13mm Matte Black (x8)
    • Tubing: Tygon R3603 19/13mm Clear (1m or 2m?)
    • Fans: Gentle Typhoon 800's ? (x2)
    • Fluids: Something Red? (2 litres to be safe)

I haven't budgeted for a Rad as I have an old 24mm spacing ThermoChill PA120.2 (with shroud) that I bought a LONG time ago and I'm hoping someone will tell me that it will suffice. I won't be going for a big overclock on the CPU and I'll leave the 7970 at default clocks.

Am I missing anything?

Also any help on the current best clear tubing and red coolant/fluid would be a huge help.

Many thanks in advance

2. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

No one would change anything ?

Excellent.

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Hi Scuppy,

The parts look pretty decent and I can vouch for watercooling the 7970. I cant get mine to go over 49c during a full tilt gaming session (with the card OC'd on stock volts). And that's on the same loop as my CPU.

I don't know much about the Koolance CPU block so wont comment, ive only ever used EK (or XSPC briefly)

Anyway I have a question:)

Are you using the TJ07? Because personally I would be looking for a triple rad on your setup. Or like me, a quad.

Yes I know, a double will probably do. But I don't think it would net you much improvement over some of the decent air coolers out there (happy to be corrected by the other watercooling bods here).

Of course if you just want to do it for the fun of it (which I totally approve of!) Then of course, go for it! But seriously, think about a triple or quad

Going by your sig, our PCs will be very similar (WC TJ07 with 7970 and SB CPU). Ive got some pics of mine in the sig, but I don't think I uploaded a clear one of the quad rad in the base. Could find one though.

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I'd use faster fans, plus I wouldn;t go for the Koolance CPU block. What's wrong with the EK supremacy?

5. bdigital

Good point. The Sycthe GT 1450s are good, especially if you hook them up to a fan controller and dial them down to around 1000rpm. I find they do a great job. Having said that its been a while since ive looked at fans so there may be a newer alternative?

6. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I agree with bdigital, a triple or quad rad would be better, you could still use the dual rad as a second rad in the loop if you really wanted to.

As for coolant, I would use normal distiller water and deep red dye from Mayhem.
    You can make ir as red as you want and you can make a lot of coolant with just one bottle.
    I use 5 liters of coolant in my system and use 2,5ml of dye and I think I used way to much ;)

7. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

Thanks guys, I was going to go for the Phobya UC-1 CPU waterblock but was told it had poor build quality and then looking at review websites they highly recommended the Koolance 380i.
    http://www.xtremerigs.net/reviews/w...k-roundup/thermal-results-part-1-regular-tim/

Also having just had a quick peak at the EK block they are not cheap :| eeek!

I have ordered all the basics like fittings, tubes, pump etc except the waterblock wasn't in stock ha so maybe it was a sign.

I will have a read up on the EK waterblock, I guess it would have a bit of consistency with my GPU waterblock not that you'd see that being face down in the case.

I have taken your advice and decided not to go for my 120.2 and I am now looking at the XSPC RX480 (4x120mm) Rad however it isn't in stock on the websites I would usually buy from. I believe scan.co.uk might have it but it wouldn't let me add it to my basket when I tried which was very strange.

If I were to go for the 480 rad would the 800rpm fans still be okay? I am not a huge overclocker, I just hate fan noise and they were rated at 16dB and thought a few of them would be better than having a really cool system that is a little noisier.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2013
  8. bdigital

The RX is a very good rad. Not sure what its like with lower speed fans though. If you insist on the lower fan speeds the alphacool UT60 full copper is a great performer. Its low fin density means low rpm still does the trick and last time i looked it was cheaper than the rest too.

With a decent quad rad in the base, 800rpm fans will still do a decent job, as long as they have good static pressure (dont forget you will need to uy 2 extra fans!)

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I use this block with a XSPC RX360 rad.

I use 3 of these fans running at 5v.

That combined keeps my cpu when overclocked to 5.0ghz at around 75c per core, but I have practically no airflow in the case so that combo would perform better with more airflow in the case.

I also use EK Blood Red coolant, with 1/2" Masterkleer tubing and it's very red.

Pictures etc are available in here if you want to see what the coolant is like.

Other than that the list you have put together is alright, other than the points that people have already mentioned.

10. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

Holy Crap your case looks awesome!! Mine is due to be collected start of next week by citylink to go off to get powder coated. I'm keeping my simple and going for matte-black internals, outside will stay black alu & then red & black cable braiding/clear tubing with red dye fluids.

It's a shame as that block isn't in stock, I might just add it to the basket with the RX480 and cross my fingers it comes sooner rather than later. I was thinking of going for the clear plexi version as that would then match the EK GFX card waterblock I'm going for.

Is this the same version just plexi or is it a lower quality block? clicky

11. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

I bought that waterblock anyway ha.

Went with Scan and got the RX480, and EK Clear plexi CSQ waterblock and a rad mount thing.

12. bdigital

Good man. You wont be dissapointed with the cooling performance. I went from a triple to a quad and it was a very good improvement.

13. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

I shall post a pic of all the goodies when they arrive and a completed pic (should I not fry all of my components LOL)

14. bdigital

Please do. I love a TJ07 build :)

Still hoping to re do mine in october but ive got some decisions to make regarding upgrade path. May have to start a thread od my own!

15. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

This might be a silly question but do I need a silver coil?

16. bdigital

It depends on what fluid you decide on. Some of the pre mixed ones contain biocide which means you dont have to. If your going with distilled water then yes.

17. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

I hadn't really given it much thought other than the fact I wanted red. The Mayhems Pastel Red though looks awesome so I will get that (when it's back in stock).

The rad arrived today so will likely get to work with figuring out how to use the rad mounts lol.

18. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

Everything (except the GPU waterblock) is here now and although my case is off getting powdercoated I was going to flush the rad and cpu waterblock.

Distilled water....? Is that just deionised that you find in halfords for car batteries ?

19. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Distilled water....? Is that just deionised that you find in halfords for car batteries

Yep that's the stuff

20. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

You don't really need a silvercoil, I've asked the same question on this forum a while back and the majority leaned towards a big no.
    You can use a Biocide if you really want to be sure you get have any algae.
    I think Mayhem sells it as well.