1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Watercooling help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atc95, 19 Aug 2014.

1. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I have an XFX Radeon HD 7950 Double Dissipation Edition 3GB GDDR5 (FX-795A-TDJC) which is a non-reference card so is there any company that have made a waterblock for it or one that would work for it.

Following on from this I am looking at the watercooling parts required as if I am upgrading to crossfire, I either need a new case or could spend a bit (a lot :D) more and get a proper watercooled loop.

Basically can someone glance over this and give their opinion on whether it is all compatible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The current case I have is a silverstone tj08-e which can hold a 180mm and 120mm radiator without too much difficulty, I already have a coolermaster eisberg 120L which would provide the pump res and 120mm rad of the loop and can be expanded.

I also have the idea of buying an additional windowed side panel and top panel from silverstone, and then with the top panel I want to mod it so that there is a 120mm fan mount where the top optical drive would be, this is just to give a bit of extra airflow as my pump (cm eisberg) isn't going to be powerful enough to cool everything at prolonged periods of full load.

I was thinking of sending it to chilled pc as they do laser fabrication or radiator cut outs which I could use, the alternative is to send them my current panel and get them to replicate it with a 120mm fan hole and no psu vent as then I can have the psu exhausting out some of the gpu heat. Has anyone had any experience with chilled pc modding or know of other similar places as I don't have the tools or skills to do it myself.

Cheers,
    atc95

P.s. sorry mods if this is verging on a modding thread but it is mainly hardware :thumb:

Last edited: 20 Aug 2014
  2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

atc95 likes this.
  3. atc95

Will have to check my pcb version but thank you. +rep

4. atc95

PCB version I have is compatible with the waterblock so have now sort of decided what I am going to do, see op!

5. atc95

Had a reply from watercooling UK saying that 400L is "just about enough" and that I would need at least another 360mmx120mm radiator on top of the current 120 that I have for the loop that I am planning. Is this really the case, I would have thought a loop of the following would be fine for 400L and a 180+120 rad:

Eisberg cpu pump/block - 120mm esiberg radiator - Radeon hd 7950 block x2 - alphacool xt45 180mm radiator.

Can someone confirm how effective my loop would be, I have seen several photos online of people using an almost identical radiator setup and having no problems with cf / sli loops!

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Rule of thumb is to have at the very least 120x120 of rad per component. So if you're cooling the cpu and 2 gpus, you'll want an extra 240x120 rad, but a 120x360 will give you more headroom and allow you to run the fans at lower speeds and therefore less noise.

Although a 180x180 rad has more surface area than a 120x240 rad, there's only one fan pushing air through so it will have to work a lot harder to shift the heat.

7. atc95

Hoping to be able to have either the 120mm or 180mm in push pull so hopefully I can have a bit more airflow but I thought the 180mm rad would have been plenty tbh. The other option (seeing as I am putting a fan intake in the top panel anyway) is to use both 525" bay spaces for another 120mm radiator although then my pump and res will be even more stretched. Plus I will have to find a very unique way of mounting my hdds and ssds.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It'd be really tight and although push/pull config would help a little, it wouldn't make a massive amount of difference. I think that in reality, with out some full-on nodding you're not gonna get enough cooling in that case.

Only thing I could think you could do it strip the psu from the back, mount it at the front and use the roof for a bigger rad. Serious work involved in that though.

9. atc95

Back to getting a new case then :( although now that I am thinking of the watercooling route I could get one with 4 expansion slots rather than 5!

10. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

An alt would be to use an external rad - i personally use this & the 480 version for my 2 machines.

Looking at the case you have, you'd need to put a couple of holes in to run the tubing & a molex extension cable out, but it'd be far less work than trying to mod it to add extra internal rads & move the PSU &/or HDDs/SSDs about... ...& you should get noticeably better temps as you're then using the room's ambient air temp rather than the internal case temp.

Yeah, just an idea.

11. atc95

Haven't found a case I like more than the tj08e so far, how bad is a 180mm and 120mm rad going to be for 2 7950s and an i5, surely it will still be quite a bit better than air cooling, especially for gpus. Also is a 400L pump enough as the watercooling email seemed to want me to buy a whole pump and res, whether that is for their benefit or mine I'm not sure.