1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Far Cry 4 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 25 Nov 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

As much as I would like to play this, it seem plenty of people are having trouble getting it to run properly. Looks like Ubisoft are up to their same old tricks.

3. jrduquemin

jrduquemin Minimodder

I have the game installed on my PC and have had no problems with running it personally. My only gripe is with the controls; I can't use the mouse scroll wheel to select weapons like I could in Far Cry 3. That and the fact that every single animal in the whole of the country want to kill you the moment you look at them are the only reason I have given up on playing it for the time being.

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Love it. Awesome game! Theres deffo some optimisation that is needed just like when FC3 came out.

Got it running on very high at 1440p with a 780. Nice and smooth. My expectation is that with better drivers and perhaps a game update or two i should be able to move to ultra

5. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

Looks like a lot of fun, but I'll wait 'til the patches and tweaks are all out. And then the Steam sale. :)

6. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

A good review and pretty much one I agree with. I have to say that I am loving the game, but it feels too much like 3 and not a new game.

The co-op is great fun, except my friend and I sometimes have issues where one of us can't see a vehicle (the one who gets invited to join is the one who can't see it). Doesn't happen all the time, so not a major issue.

I am surprised that your review didn't mention how stuttery it can be, with large frame drops.

There are also a lot of people who can't play due to there being issues with certain peripherals being plugged in, causing the game to black screen on firing it up.

SLI / Crossfire is totally broken in the game, so much so that AMD have removed the crossfire profile ensuring that it only runs on 1 card.

I'm glad it worked perfectly for you - it must have to score 90%, but I feel your review doesn't caveat the issues that many other people are suffering. If it was just the odd person with an issue I can understand you ignoring them, it's not though. It's pretty much another shambles of a launch by Ubisoft.

7. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Couldn't agree more with the review. It's a blast.

Here's my review:
    I loved FC1. Enjoyed FC2. Couldn't last more than 2 hours in FC3. And now I can't put FC4 down. It's that good.

TL;DR version = have you tried the monster fish hunting?

PS: I got it, immediately patched v1.03 and never had a single crash or instability. Aside from the rare occasional "quest buggy, won't advanced" issues.
    PPS: Windows 8.1 64 bit too. No peripheral issue, blackouts, or stuttering or frame drops with my 970GTX.

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Agreed on SLI issues; stutters like a stuttery thing with the shakes when it's enabled.

Granted 1 x 780 can run it on pretty decent settings at my res but that's not he point for a Nvidia branded game (it even has Nvidia only graphics preset for god's sake) it's bloody disappointing to find such issues with SLI.

9. Ferdinand82

Ferdinand82 What's a Dremel?

I don't understand how this review is so positive while my experience is so much worse. The game is full of irritating stuff: the eagle that drops down to hold you for a few seconds while you die in a fire fight, the camera that moves so much that I get a head ache from it, the blurring when you zoom in with your binoculars, the music, the woman that gives you missions, the voice of the radio tower, the notes with stupid poems and verses from a bible, the crafting system that forces you to hunt all over the map before you can start playing the game, the pc controls, swapping weapons when you want to loot, having to loot and loot and loot, micromanagement of your lootsack/wallet, the weird background sound that sounds like a city, unsinkable horrible horrible cut scenes and on and on.
    It is almost like the developers have made Far cry 4 in parallel with 3. They never played Far Cry 3 and so they never knew most of those flaws were already in 3. Pagan Min can not compare to Vaas. It is just no contest. Pagan Min could have been in Zoolander. I can't take him serious and I feel nothing for the character.

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I'm sold. I couldn't play Far Cry 3 without Ziggy's Mod...but this looks to have addressed quite a lot of the problems (included the horrendous FC3 default not-so-mini-map) that I had with FC3, so looks like I'll be getting FC4 come pay day :)

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

12. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Played about 5 hrs of FC2, but its many faults, topped off with respawning enemies, drove me away. Have we moved on or are the mechanics the same?

13. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I had zero interest in this game until I read that.

14. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

Seems like a really good, fun, game. I've only just bought the third one recently, got a download code in a sale pretty cheap, which made me take the risk with UPlay, since I wasn't prepared to pay alot in case it didn't work. I did have a few issues with Uplay, but I seem to have gotten it working (for now). Anyway, back to the fourth one, the fact that it is fully co-op will make me want to get it so much more, since I like to play co-op games these days with a mate.

[Edit] I must have mis-read, I assumed it was full co-op from what I had read, but it isn't at all from the comments here :/ Ah well.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2014
  15. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

OK, so co-op is now fully integrated to main story? Not like FC3 co-op which was kinda dull.

16. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

I'm loving the game. My only gameplay gripe is the checkpoint system. I've accidentally started a mission and now I can't save until I complete that mission. There are other things I'd prefer to do first.

My PC is also struggling with anything above medium texture settings (7850 1GB). I've bought an R9 290X on ebay and hopefully it will be delivered today. Although, judging by what people are saying online, that might not cure the stuttering. As one person said on the Ubisoft forums, it stutters like a crack addict.

17. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

No...rather disappointingly, the co-op is ONLY the open world stuff, i.e. no main story/campaign integration at all. In fact, the more I read about it, the worse it gets...people saying it's drop-in/drop-out for 2 hour periods max.

The co-op was the main reason I wanted it. No longer :(

[EDIT] The 2-hour stuff is on PS4 for players that don't own the game, who can download an "app" (shudder) and join a friend's game for free for a couple of hours, in a live-demo kinda sense. The PC co-op isn't limited by time, but obviously you both need the game, and it still doesn't include the main story.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2014
  18. rollo

rollo Modder

Farcry 4 is fun to play and a good game. Reviews are what they are. PC performance issues with ubisoft games is nothing really new. Cant think of a release that has not had an issue on day 1 of launch.

Patch 1.03 fixes most of it, SLI and CFX are still broken at last check but it will affect so few people I dout Ubisoft is making it a big priority.

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Far from it.

20. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

I think we are in the age of unpolished games, I've yet to see a recent release without some sort of huge problem. The devs don't mind tarnishing their names with dodgy releases as long as they get the sales they want. So I'm doing what you are, waiting until its on sale by which time it will be heavily patched.

Even the Steam version will use Uplay to launch, so buying a copy via one of the key sites or an nVidia voucher and redeeming on Uplay just cuts out one layer of DRM anyways.

Tags: Add Tags