1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Software' started by GreatOldOne, 7 Jan 2011.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

OSX 10.6.6 dropped yesterday, and along with it came the introduction of the Mac App Store.

So far, I'm impressed. All the apps I currently have installed that are in the App store have been recognized, so it shows that I have them installed in the store (so updates will be flagged) - Add new app purchases install like iPhone or iPad apps - the icon appears in the dock, with a little progress bar beneath it.

Prices seem reasonable too. Aperture 3 for £45 - Bargain. Mrs GOO mnaged to get the recipie app she's been wanting for a while (Yummy Soup) for £8 - half-price.

There's a lot of cross over apps from the iPad / iPhone store. Angry Birds, The Event, etc.

I wonder what impact this will have software update? Apple software like iWork, iLife & Apperture had their updates handled through SU... now they're in the App store, I guess it'll be done through there from now on.

Thoughts? Found any gems?

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ah - reading various blogs and sites, it would appear that even if you have an app installed on your Mac, that is now in the App Store (and shows as 'installed' in the store), you will not be able to upgrade the app via the store. If you want to do that, you have to re-purchase the app!

Daring Fireball:

I can't see many people deliberately trashing an installed app and repurchasing through the app store.

Here's a thought - why don't the developers of the apps provide free re-installs of the software via the store, so auto-update works? All they'd have to do is look throught their license DB and send a gifted app to the license holder via the App Store.

3. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

personally I was a little disappointed with the app store, mainly by the lack of choice

Early days still so could improve.

4. robump

robump Minimodder

I like the idea of it, i think that they are trying to take the best bits from the iphone/ipad and integrate them into mac. Looking at the new OSX lion some of the new features look very similar.