1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD announces Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 22 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

would be interesting to see if that `power boost` is functionable on other amf 7xxx cards as well

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Not much of an increase in clock speed then.

4. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Think this could drive down prices the other GPU's? Was looking at the HD7950 in maybe a month or so...? And going to be getting myself a new Dell monitor as well I think. Rather excited...

Bill

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and as if by magic feathers arrives in an AMD article with a negative comment.... getting old really fast.

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

He does have a point though,

In order to beat the GTX680 I would have thought it would need more than a 75MHz boost. They must surely need the 50MHz boost to beat it?

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

read some reviews - the 75mhz increase means they are tied now AND the ihv`s have allready said 1200mhz ones to come....

8. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

in amd games the 7970 pulls further ahead - in nv games the gap is narrowed but the gtx is faster and they are matched in non optimized games.....

im interested to see if the boost can be used on older 7970`s and/or other 77xx/78xx cards

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

probably could with a bios update, much like the 6950->6970 shenanigans.

It could be that there is no real change to the card at all, there's just a higher stockclock and a bios change to introduce boosting. this would mean it wouldn't overclock any higher than the original cards and when push to the max, still can't compete. we need a review that pitches 7970 oc'd vs 7970Ghz oc'd vs 670 oc'd vs 680 oc'd.

give it a month or 2 and we'll have a gtx685 with higher stock clocks.

11. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Looks like the driver provides a fair boost as well as the frequency increase.

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Your negative commenting about my negative comments is getting older faster too.

Who wins?

I got nuffink against ATI/AMD by the way... I just don't think bragging about 1ghz from a default 925 is NOT worth talking about and I would say the same if it was an Nvidia GPU. Over the past few months we've heard talk of GPU extreme overclocks close to 2ghz. The GTX 560ti was available at 1ghz ages ago and I'm guessing some previous ATI's also.

From what I've heard the 7970's overclock well so why the conservative factory OC?

Just out of interest... what kind of overclocks are people getting from the 7970?

Last edited: 22 Jun 2012
  13. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

To be honest, I don't see what the problem is feathers. The overclock isn't impressive, but it's all that AMD needs to match and even beat the GTX680, so clock for clock the performance is similar. Only the 7970 seems to have more to give overclock wise. 1200MHz+ is common, whereas GTX680s are somewhat limited by Nvidia's boosting scheme and drivers, so it's difficult to tell whether they could go faster if pure clock access would be made available.

I think AMD went with somewhat conservative clocks to begin with, which is what both companies do a lot when they're releasing first. Why release high clocked parts when your competition might not beat it? You can always increase later. It means you don't show your hand.

14. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

The GHz edition isn't an overclock. It's an updated reference card spec as they now have enough good die to be able to guaranatee they will all run at that speed. The original spec was not guaranteed to run that fast, hence the lower original spec.

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I see. Any increase is a good thing though. Roll on 1800mhz.

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

17. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Swings and roundybouts. Win some lose some. 7970 very good on Metro 2033, loses out on Dirt 3 but not by much.

The lightning is quite a bit faster on Metro.

18. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

That's irrelevant to the consumer though - it's only a question of who validates the card to run at the higher speed - a factory OC card is still guaranteed to run at its factory OC speed, the only difference is that it is the board vendor (Gigabyte or MSI or whoever) rather than AMD who offers that guarantee. Put it another way - a board vendor can now buy chips from AMD that AMD certifies will run at 1 GHz, whereas before now the chips were only certified to hit 925 MHz. Most of those will surely still hit 1 GHz, but there is no comeback to AMD if some don't. OEMs will still speed bin the chips they get, and cherry pick the best ones to put in factory OC cards at more than 1 GHz.

Tags: Add Tags